Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm with AAA. The following is for 1 year:

Bodily Injury
500,000 person
500,000 accident $103.00

Property Damage
100,000 accident $95.00

Uninsured Motorist - Bodily Injury
500,000 person
500,000 accident $12.00

Underinsured Motorist - Bodily Injury
500,000 person
500,000 accident $26.00

Medical Payments
5,000 person $26.00

Comprehensive (Less Deductible)
100 $78.00

Collision (Less Deductible)
500 $325.00

Enhanced Transportation Expense
25 per day
750 maximum $28.00

All Risk Coverage
No Coverage

Premium for 2014 Tesla Model S : $693.00
How many miles per year?

I'm paying AAA $950 for my 2009 acura tsx for 7k mile yearly.

Last edited:
Is anyone looking at full replacement coverage (in case you are not financing or don't have gap insurance)? I really don't want to insure this without it. Getting quotes from our current provider (Metlife), Encompass, Allstate and all the other usual suspects. Very few will insure the X and even fewer will provide replacement coverage. So far the first three I mentioned did and Metlife and Encompass seem to be about the same price. Rolled in with lots of other insured items, they come out at about $1200 for the X piece. This is in Arizona.

Some of the other companies quoted my $2k+. The numbers really change (usually not for the better) once you start talking to them as most quotes will apply every discount (valid or not) and don't include "extras" like car rental or glass coverage.

My answer? Shop. I know it is tedious, but it is worth it.
I tried a few standard insurance companies (Farmers [they have my renters policy and quoted me an insane number], State Farm, AllState, etc.) and then Geico, Progressive and that other one...

Geico and the one I forget came in way below the others.
Then factor in factory reputation for service, and make your pick.
I picked Geico easy to deal with, very flexible coverage fully configurable online. They called me to confirm, and it was done.

That was one very productive night at a hotel outside the country.

I just check progressive again and now got quoted $1720/yr for this... Much better than the 4K from other companies, but still not as good as others. I'm single clean record, great credit, home owner...etc

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    363.2 KB · Views: 63
After quite a few changes in my delivery schedule, my X is being delivered tomorrow at 5pm. I found this out around 4:50pm today while I was sitting in my Nationwide agent's office. Just like 2-3 months ago when I started looking into insurance costs, they were not able to give me a price today. They are checking back in the morning with me to see what they can find out. The hang up has more to do with the car costing more than $100k than it has to do with the car not being in their system.
I'm hoping the numbers don't come out too crazy so I don't have to shop around for other options. I'll know a lot more in about 18 hours from now :)

I have been with Progressive for two years. They were about 25% cheaper than the next best two years ago. I then had a clean record.
A little more than a year ago I was in an accident, declared the fault of the other driver. No damage to my S, minor damage to the other car.
Since then my Progressive renewals have been lower each time than they had been.
This time I tried to compare with Geico, which quoted me 45% more than my new Progressive quote, a new lower one, BTW.
A factor apart from the fender-bender is that I am now 71 years old. Geico is not always friendly to older people, despite Mr. Buffet's own age.
Progressive has been far better than I had expected, including follow-up on that accident, which BTW was my first in >50 years of driving.
I have a background in actuarial issues. I would not treat me so kindly as does Progressive precisely because of that long accident-free period being interrupted.