Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car is not charging to full despite conditions being unchanged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has been going on for almost a month now and I have no idea what's going on. For about the last month or so, my car is taking far longer to charge than it used to. I had a 220V outlet (or whatever the other plug is that comes with the mobile charger, I just can't remember exactly what it is off the top of my head) installed in my garage about a year ago after I got the car and have had zero issues with it until recently. For context, I plug the car in whenever I get home in the afternoon, have the car set up to start charging at 12:00 AM and the limit set to 80%.

The other night I plugged in at about 25-30% and when I checked on it at around 9AM the next morning, it was still charging and was at about 77%. Normally in this situation It would finish charging somewhere around 5:30 - 6AM. Other instances have been like plugging in around 50% and it still be charging around 7AM when normally it would have finished in roughly 3 hours.

I plugged in last night at 68% and it finished around 2AM, according to my app, to see if anything happened and nothing did. I checked for any alerts in service mode and got a hit (photos attached). To me, it looks like something is overheating but I'm not an electrician or engineer so I can't say with absolute certainty. It has been getting warmer here over the last 2 weeks or so, but being plugged in and charging in a garage overnight when its around 68 degrees Fahrenheit (at the hottest during the night), I find it hard to believe weather is the culprit. Also, I have changed literally nothing about how I charge and even double checked my settings and everything was set as it has been since I initially set everything up.

Anyone have any ideas as to what's happening or do I need to call an electrician or take the car in to get looked at?

Attachments

• IMG_0235.JPG
    IMG_0235.JPG
    482.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0236.JPG
    IMG_0236.JPG
    532.4 KB · Views: 2
Looks to me like your wall plug is getting hot, and so the amount of power is being dialed down (correctly).

There are more than a couple of threads here about melted outlets, which is one of the reasons that the general recommendation is to use the wall connector if you dont already have an outlet installed from something else.

You will want to investigate your wall plug, and the connections on your mobile charger. If you are not comfortable with investigating your wall plug, you could at least take the plate off and remove the plug from the wall and look carefully at the outlet and see if you see anything that looks like scorching.

This is very likely a problem caused by a receptacle that is overheating because is not designed for continuous high current draw that EV charging entails. You should have it replaced with a proper Hubbell or Bryant receptacle that is satisfactory for continuous EV charging. You should also inspect the prongs on the plug to be sure they have not been damaged or look like they have been overheated. If they have and you cannot clean them you should replace the adapter (the cable that plugs into the Tesla Mobile Connector).

Better yet, have a Tesla Wall Connector installed.

If you can post a close up picture of the receptacle and the plug end of the cable.