Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Locking: What Do You Think Happened Here?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday, my wife had Tessie (see sig), and I got a notification on my phone:

Tessie
The doors are unlocked.

I phoned her, and she said that she'd walked away from the car and didn't remember hearing the lock sound, so she looked at her app, saw that it was unlocked and tapped to lock it.

However, I look at the app on my phone, and see that it is still unlocked. I lock it.

I've considered that the car locked, but she mistakenly thought it hadn't and tapped the toggle (poor design) and actually unlocked it. However, she says she saw the padlock icon in the unlocked state.

Today, we're going to experiment to try to reproduce this, but do you have any ideas on what happened?

This has happened to me a couple times over the years. I think your wife probably had a brief faulty/glitchy Bluetooth (?) connection and the walk away lock didn’t register. She tried to lock it but it didn’t work because she still didn’t have a good connection. I guess your connection was more stable and were therefor able to lock it.

Reactions: PianoAl
After just over a year of ownership, this happened to me for the first time over the weekend. Got the notification on my phone while at the gym and the phone widget was showing unlocked sure enough. I’ve made a mental note to walk away slower to listen for the lock chime.

This isn't the same, because I didn't get an "the doors are unlocked" notification, but I noticed today that I could bring up the app while seeing, from across the parking lot, that the car was locked, and ...

... it shows as unlocked. However, it hadn't updated yet (shows that the car is asleep). It showed the lock status from the last time it was in contact with the car, which, in this case, was unlocked.

So, if the app makes you think that the car is unlocked, be sure to wait for it to wake up.