Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car needed to be jumped to open door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible for the 12 V battery to die without notice. I had no warning or error code. All of the sudden I was locked out. Just recently got V10 update. Received second update yesterday. Could this be just a glitch or is my 12 V battery is no good. Currently the car is operating fine. I could not get a hold of Tesla to ask. What can happen if I drive with a bad 12 V battery.

Model S 85
9/13 production date

Yes, it can die without warning just as any lead acid battery in any application can.

The fact that you are getting updates and that the car is currently operating normally indicates that the 12V battery has not failed. It operates everything in the car except the traction motor(s), the compressor and the heater(s). These cars do pretty sophisticated monitoring of the 12 V battery and usually give plenty of warning that trouble is impending.

Yes, it can die without warning just as any lead acid battery in any application can.

The fact that you are getting updates and that the car is currently operating normally indicates that the 12V battery has not failed. It operates everything in the car except the traction motor(s), the compressor and the heater(s). These cars do pretty sophisticated monitoring of the 12 V battery and usually give plenty of warning that trouble is impending.

The 12v battery in my 2014 model S died or the circuit disconnected on me without warning at all. I was locked out of the car completely. Even after the towing company forced open the door the car could not start, completely dead with no warning at all. I had to pay $300 for the towing company to do the force open and get the car to the dealer. I think the design of the 12v circuit is problematic. A critical function of opening the car door and starting a car can not rely only on a single battery or a non-redundant wire! Tesla refused to respond to my comment on the design.