TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Car needed to be jumped to open door

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by tj1772, Oct 12, 2019.

1. tj1772

tj1772 Member

Is it possible for the 12 V battery to die without notice. I had no warning or error code. All of the sudden I was locked out. Just recently got V10 update. Received second update yesterday. Could this be just a glitch or is my 12 V battery is no good. Currently the car is operating fine. I could not get a hold of Tesla to ask. What can happen if I drive with a bad 12 V battery.

Model S 85
    9/13 production date

2. ajdelange

ajdelange Banned

Yes, it can die without warning just as any lead acid battery in any application can.

The fact that you are getting updates and that the car is currently operating normally indicates that the 12V battery has not failed. It operates everything in the car except the traction motor(s), the compressor and the heater(s). These cars do pretty sophisticated monitoring of the 12 V battery and usually give plenty of warning that trouble is impending.

3. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

The 12V battery powers the entire car. If it doesn't work, nothing in the car will

4. ajdelange

ajdelange Banned

It doesn't power the traction motors, it doesn't power the heaters and it doesn't power the A/C compressor.

5. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Active Member

Stupid question, where do I get a new one? Anyone have recommendation? I bet mine is 7 yrs old. I should change it to be sure it doesn't die on me.

6. Goldzw

Goldzw Member

The 12v battery in my 2014 model S died or the circuit disconnected on me without warning at all. I was locked out of the car completely. Even after the towing company forced open the door the car could not start, completely dead with no warning at all. I had to pay $300 for the towing company to do the force open and get the car to the dealer. I think the design of the 12v circuit is problematic. A critical function of opening the car door and starting a car can not rely only on a single battery or a non-redundant wire! Tesla refused to respond to my comment on the design.

7. ajdelange

ajdelange Banned

What the towing company should have done is jump the battery. Next time use a competent company and avoid the charges.

8. Goldzw

Goldzw Member

It is a towing company sent by tesla rep on the call!

9. tga

tga Supporting Member

More accurately, the 12V battery powers the non-traction systems when the car is off. When it is on, the DC-DC converter converts 400V -> 12V to power the 12V systems and recharge the 12V battery from the main HV battery.