Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Seats for kids (sorry, not the most entertaining thread to close 2021).

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to hear what car seats folk here use. My wife isn't best pleased with me because she claims that I should have checked that the car seat base that fits in both her BMW and my old Macan would also fit the Tesla.

Anyway; it doesn't because of the rake of the seats (means the ISOFIX clips can't reach the seats). So what do people use?

Ideally it has to be Size 1 (12 months +), have a base which is separate to the car seat & that base should also swivel through 90 degrees so that you put the child into the car facing you and then swivel their seat to face backwards for travel.

Initial research seems to suggest that Maxi-Cosi may do something that fits the bill but I thought I'd ask here before doing any further research.

What seat are you currently using? Everything we've had has had adjustable reach ISOFIX arms, so there has never been a problem in fitting between BMW, Ford or Tesla.
Can't suggest anything for you, as we never used rotating seats.
it's a Cybex Base Z (I Size) that doesn't fit. There are a few compatibility checkers online that also suggest this is the case so I don't think it's me being a moron. The angle of the seat means that the ISOFIX clips cannot reach the fastening points on the car seat.

We have a Joie 360 Spin. It meets your requirements except it doesn’t have a base separate from the seat itself. However, with the i version that has the leg the car seat is suspended between the Isoxif brackets and the leg, so it doesn’t rest on the back seat itself and therefore doesn’t leave an imprint. The car seat also only needs to be connected to the Isofix brackets and the leg adjusting, so is very easy to fit and remove.

Reactions: rotor2k
We have a Joie 360 Spin. It meets your requirements except it doesn’t have a base separate from the seat itself. However, with the i version that has the leg the car seat is suspended between the Isoxif brackets and the leg, so it doesn’t rest on the back seat itself and therefore doesn’t leave an imprint. The car seat also only needs to be connected to the Isofix brackets and the leg adjusting, so is very easy to fit and remove.
This could be an option. Presumably the i-size base takes different size seats (i.e. newborn - 12 months & 12 months - 4 years etc)?

Not sure if this will help...

From the "Tesla Driver & Friends" German website (translated):

Cybex Cloud Z i-size child seat with Base Z base
QUESTION:
"does anyone have experience with the “Cybex Cloud Z i-size” child seat with the “Base Z Basis”?
I would like to know whether this can be easily installed on the back seat of the Model 3."
REPLY:
"we have installed the Cybex Cloud Z i-size with base.
We have two cars, so we have to move the seat from one to the other from time to time. No problem at all in Model 3. There is enough space and nothing breaks or gets squashed."

Cybex indicate that the Base Z fits in the S & X, so it probably will fit in the 3, just they haven't updated their website. They don't specifically list any BMW models after 2015, except the 2 Gran Coupe (2020), as being compatible. Maybe try contacting Cybex?

I recommend these people, Lots of Tesla experience (including mine) as MK has many EV/Tesla. They also have unusual stock such as rear-facing, high Swedish safety levels and USA stock (useful for tall children). Can be tried out for size at the shop (appointment needed)

also Belfast & Essex (from memory)

Looking to hear what car seats folk here use. My wife isn't best pleased with me because she claims that I should have checked that the car seat base that fits in both her BMW and my old Macan would also fit the Tesla.

Anyway; it doesn't because of the rake of the seats (means the ISOFIX clips can't reach the seats). So what do people use?

Ideally it has to be Size 1 (12 months +), have a base which is separate to the car seat & that base should also swivel through 90 degrees so that you put the child into the car facing you and then swivel their seat to face backwards for travel.

Initial research seems to suggest that Maxi-Cosi may do something that fits the bill but I thought I'd ask here before doing any further research.
I had terrible trouble with my car seats too as I the Tesla isofix latches were too deep into the back of the seat. A lot of sweet and swearing was involved but I got there in the end (it involved pushing the Tesla leather back as far as I can, adjusting the rake of the Tesla car seat, adjusting angle of baby seat and holding the baby seat car clips extended so that they don't get pushed back in by the Tesla car seats - it was an absolute pain)

The only easier solution I could think off was to use ISOfix guides. They definitely solve the issue but I suspect they will leave a nasty dent in the leather.

We’ve been using a Joie Bold and a Britax Baby Safe I-Size. No issues with either.

Top tip (especially if you’re on a lease) - these heavy child seats can damage the ‘leather’, so worth spending £15-20 on some seat protectors to sit between the seat and child seat.