Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Sick

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is funny, my wife and I just had the conversation at dinner that it seems like the kids get much more car sick in the Tesla than any other car we’ve had. Then I searched on here and found this thread! We have 18” wheels. I think its just the overall ride dynamics, including the bumps, accel/decel, flatter cornering, and maybe the full glass roof. I feel like I’ve learned to drive pretty smooth, but we’ll have to try “boring mode” to see if it helps ....but I won’t be happy about it!

I’m wondering if it could also be the glass roof. He may not have a strong reference point of a horizon or anything. If he’s too small to see above the door frame he may just be seeing a blur of motion out both side windows and the roof (clouds, trees, a strobe effect if on a tree lined street and driving through shadows and bright sunlight, etc).

I think most people like to be able to see the outside instead of just feeling the motions, but I think for them they like to be able to see a fairly stationary reference point, like the horizon in the distance or something.

Could be why some people get very motion sick with VR headsets even though they’re either completely stationary or barely moving.

My kid and wife have no such problem, but a lot of the owners in my city claim the car is making people car sick easily. Here is a summary of reasons why.

1. The stock suspension is bumpy. A lot of us swapped with aftermarket suspension and things got so much better.
2. Tires pressure and noise. 42psi is pain to get comfort around town and road noise is annoying at this tire pressure level
3. One-foot driving. A lot of passengers get used to ICE braking
4. Center Screen. Stop looking at the large screen, it makes you sick quickly
5. Rear sunroof. yes and no...I owned a SLK and with the top down will not cause motion sickness, maybe kids will find it busy to look around inside the car.

I got my car last week and tried it out at length with the kids. I'm very prone to motion sickness so I was able to spot quickly that it's not the acceleration that does it much worse than other cars, it's the regen breaking. It can easily give that weird feeling of one brain moving at a different speed than one's body. It took me a bit of driving to learn to ease off the acceleration in the right way to avoid it. When one of my kids started feeling nauseated (a common occurrence in all cars), I turned the regen to low while in stop and go traffic and it helped quite a bit.

For me it's the regen braking. I get the same motion sickness when I ride in my coworker's stick shift. Every gear shift was a change in acceleration. For Tesla, it helps a lot if you turn on Creep. With that I am okay... don't need to add Chill and Regen Low.