Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car wash, and the lower steering rod…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Do you take your MS to a car wash machine?
I used to go to this car wash machine at the gas station outside my house, it’s a self drive in, touchless one.
Basically drive into the box, park, let it do it’s thing and drive out.

Questions:
-my car doesn’t have car wash mode, if I park my car in there, will the pressurized water push and open the charging port door?
-Should I do underwash like how I used to do? i have heard stories where water/moisture/splash/dirt/salt corroding the lower steering rod’s joint and causing stiff steering, and it’s a $1000 repair. Someone correct me on this if I’m wrong?

Thanks

If a company builds a "car" that can't hold up to a "car wash". They failed. Failed hard.
True, very true.
But the lower steering rod join is an common issue nowadays. My friend just had one. A $845 repair fee from tesla where they said water gets into the joint and it got corroded.

But my main concern is the charging port door, a slight touch to it and it pops open. I’m just afraid it will pop open during the wash with the pressurized water splashing onto it.

Reactions: outdoors
True, very true.
But the lower steering rod join is an common issue nowadays. My friend just had one. A $845 repair fee from tesla where they said water gets into the joint and it got corroded.

But my main concern is the charging port door, a slight touch to it and it pops open. I’m just afraid it will pop open during the wash with the pressurized water splashing onto it.
I replaced mine myself. Tesla wanted a whole steering rack complete replacement. Multiple thousands of dollars. Not needed.And yes it is an issue, especially in corrosive climates. Mine went out at 180,000, mi. Would give a resistance at the various points. Ordered part and did it with help of local non Tesla tech

Reactions: dsiwireless
I replaced mine myself. Tesla wanted a whole steering rack complete replacement. Multiple thousands of dollars. Not needed.And yes it is an issue, especially in corrosive climates. Mine went out at 180,000, mi. Would give a resistance at the various points. Ordered part and did it with help of local non Tesla tech
I heard part is cheap, but the labour just keep adding up at Tesla. My friend got a quote just replacing the joint, part is $180, labour is $1100 on top… 😕

I heard part is cheap, but the labour just keep adding up at Tesla. My friend got a quote just replacing the joint, part is $180, labour is $1100 on top… 😕
Yes. Tesla said. While we were in there.....
I said I will take the part and determine if I need the rack. So I got away with $200 and part. Lots of learning. Would have to do it a couple more times to be proficient.

I take mine to a brush car wash I have taken all my expensive cars to. I also use the touchless car wash that goes around the car in winter every week or so. My cars always get top trade in value or top retail value. If you can find a reputable car wash that maintains their equipment, you should not have any issues. The charger port door will not open with brushes or a sprayer. I drive it into the car wash, fold the mirrors, turn off auto wipers, put it is neutral for the car wash with brushes, and it drags it through the wash. I do my own interior cleaning though, so no one puts chemicals on the touch screen.