Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car wash with xpel brands?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
6AB44697-CC69-4817-A7C5-F523F1F3C784.jpeg
hello all-

New owner of model S here, recently gotten the full xpel ultimate. Was wondering what folks use to wash/wax. I believe Maguires would be okay but hard to determine whether it (or any other brand) has “ 5% naphtha or kerosene“, which per the xpel website is bad for business.

Same question for wheels, not so critical since they’re not covered with film.

Thanks in advance!

Something wrong with just going to the local carwash? I think Xpel is advertised to basically make car washing a matter of spraying it with water.

Just don't wash it within a few days after the install.

Here's the answers from xpel.com/faqs -

Can I run my car through an automatic car wash?
Yes. But wait 48 hours after installation to allow the film to dry completely.

AND

How do I wash the film, can I use a quick detailer or detail spray?
You may use any standard car wash soap, rinse free car wash, or detail spray to clean the film, provided that the product does not contain more than 5% naphtha or kerosene.

Oooh, you want to be sure a particular brand doesn't have it. Hmmm, that's a harder question but only a google away. Wax/Polish & Detailer Spray for a car with a XPEL paint protection film?

And thanks for the question, was just wondering about this too since having some work done on my wife's 3 and my S over the next couple weeks so I figure I should know if anything special needs to be done.

Last edited:
I have the same blue color as your car. Mine is a 2017 MS 100D that I just took delivery of last month. It has a full XPel Ultimate wrap and a chrome delete. I love the XPel wrap. This is the second MS that I’ve owned and had fully wrapped in XPel ultimate. I would not own another car without it.

I do not bother with wax. It makes no difference and can accumulate in the XPel seams.

I wash using either dilute Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine or Chemical Guys Honeydew Snow Foam Car Wash Soap and Cleanser with a foam gun.

I then rinse thoroughly using a CR Spotless DI-120 Deionized Water System and let the car air dry in the sun or garage. No need to towel dry. The water from the CR is 100% spotless when used correctly at 2 GPM.

It takes 15 minutes to wash the car and it looks fantastic. So it saves me time over going to a car wash and I get a little sun.

I would never take the car to a car wash, even the hand wash crew are poorly trained and have no idea how to properly clean a car especially one with an XPel wrap. If I don’t feel like spending the 15 minutes to wash the car myself, I’ll use a professional mobile detailing service to come and just wash it.

P.S. IMO Wax, and special coatings are a total waste of $$$ on top of an XPel Ultimate wrap and in some cases can even trap dirt or cause damage to seams during buffing.

Fell in love then out of love with CR Spotless – buyer beware

When I first purchased this system to wash my Tesla, I loved it. The results were, well, spotless. After the first resin cartridge ran out, I ordered a replacement. It arrived on time and well protected in a heavy box.

The replacement lasted a fraction of the time of my first cartridge and began leaking little beads of resin through the sprinkler head and onto my car. I contacted the company for help. They told me I needed to replace the cartridge. I explained, it had not lasted a fraction as long as my prior cartridge, but agreed to pay for another cartridge. After all, I loved the way this thing made cleaning my car so easy, and well, spotless!

I ordered a replacement. This replacement cartridge arrived poorly packed and cracked in half. It was not packed with the same care as the prior cartridge. I contacted the company. It took several emails. Finally, I got a reply after 4 days by emailing the owner. The reply was gruff and off putting, but they agreed to replace the cracked cartridge.

I received a replacement for the replacement. This one also shipped in the same poorer packing material as the cracked replacement but arrived in one piece. I put the system back together, and got ready for some spotless car washing. I turned on the system and the water that came out was not clear. It had a light milky film. I ran buckets of water through the cartridge to see if it would clear up. I tried putting a simple filter on the outlet to see if that would work. I gave up and contacted the company for help on August 25. It is now September 9 and I have not gotten a response.

So I am now left with an expensive water deionizer that does not work and a company that does not respond to requests for help. Sadly, I can no longer recommend this product or this company. Buyer beware. When this product works its great. When it stops working you are just out of luck.

I have 2018 MS 100D same color as yours. I got PPF, then CQuartz Finest Reserve on top of PPF. No regrets! I have only been using hand wash car washes for many years, but I've only been washing my MS myself! I would never run mine through a standard car wash. The PPF has edges and those edges can be caught. Once the edge is pulled slightly, it's tough to get it to lay back down. My car looks gorgeous, just like yours, and I wanna keep it that way! I bought most of my car washing items from CarProGlobal and The Chemical Guys. I'm confident you won't regret getting the PPF and just as confident you'll be glad if you get the ceramic coating.

I have xpel also, but I can't get the optimum no rinse thing working. Is there are trick to it? I feel like hosing down the car first works better than anything, but I'm still working on the second step. Optimum seems to dislike the water on the car after a rinse