Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very recent new Model S owner here. Any recommended hand wash services in the Pasadena area? From googling, JN's in Eagle Rock seems the most experienced. I called and they claim to regularly wash EV's.

I planned to home-wash and then read the Tesla Model S manual which says don't wash the car in sunlight, which is a little limiting.
Thanks
You are posting in the UK and Ireland section of the forum ... if you get a knowledgeable answer I will be very impressed!

Very recent new Model S owner here. Any recommended hand wash services in the Pasadena area? From googling, JN's in Eagle Rock seems the most experienced. I called and they claim to regularly wash EV's.

I planned to home-wash and then read the Tesla Model S manual which says don't wash the car in sunlight, which is a little limiting.
Thanks
The paint on Tesla's is the same as any other car. Not sure why you need someone with experience of EVs to wash it.
With respect to washing in sunlight, the danger is if products - shampoo, sealant etc - dry on the body panels then they can cause issues with the paintwork. The best ways to avoid this are :
  • Wash early in the day when its a bit cooler (you can do it in the evening, but the car will be warmer so not as good as doing it in the morning)
  • Wash one section at a time. In the blistering Scottish sun (aye right :) ) I tend to wash the front of the car (wings and bonnet), then one side, then the other. All separately. Plenty of rinsing before moving onto the next section. the rear gets done with one of the sides.
  • If it's really sunny and you can't find shade, you can turn the car so that one side is facing the sun and wash the other (now shaded) side. Swap position and then do the other side.
  • Keep the car wet as much as possible. So after I've washed one side I'll spray some water onto the front again to keep it wet. After the whole car has been washed and rinsed I'll then dry the car.

Thanks
Sorry to bring you this, but this is UK and Ireland subforum. I have a reasonable doubt anyone here would have any meaningful insight on Pasadena area ;)

Soon to be 6 year old family hacking, keeping it till it falls apart, I've lost all care for paint 'condition'. I wouldn't share how a 7 year think you should 'wash' a car to scrub away dried bird poo:).

53016915591_f0ac8a244b_c_d.jpg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Gatsojon