Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had full PPF and ceramic done back in 2019 to help give an easier ride with washing etc. I still use the 2 bucket method and crud tends to wash off very quickly, I guess helped by the ceramic. I've started topping up the ceramic with Gyeon Wet Coat which is great and the car looks still looks like new over two years down the track. The PPF also helps avoid using the nasty mudflaps.

Noticeable is doing a lot of lifting in these comments :)

You're right of course. The VAST majority of owners have never seen a well polished car and even when they come out of the Tesla dealer (even Tesla!) most people will think the car looks great. If you have spent time (and money) on good car preparation and polish, the difference is night and day.
Yes, and I do not disagree. That said, my car is most unlikely to ever need prepping for an appearance at a Concours d'Elegance though I have driven it to attend one, so “noticeable” is quite key for me. A bit like letting ”the perfect” get in the way of “the good.” I have seen many well-polished cars as I have actually attended several of the above-mentioned Concours events and no, I would not see me either doing, nor spending the money to have done, the amazing levels of finish represented there. As someone else mentioned, it’s a car, not a Faberge egg, and in my case, a very clean Model 3 with no NOTICEABLE damage.

I’d say it depends on the colour. I had a grey BMW which I religiously hand washed with a snow foam lance for three years to avoid scratches and swirls.
The model 3 now is white and I do stick it into the machine wash during the winter ever so often when I can’t be bothered to setup the Kaercher. Haven’t been able to see any scratches so far and doubt a normal person ever would.

I’d say it depends on the colour. I had a grey BMW which I religiously hand washed with a snow foam lance for three years to avoid scratches and swirls.
The model 3 now is white and I do stick it into the machine wash during the winter ever so often when I can’t be bothered to setup the Kaercher. Haven’t been able to see any scratches so far and doubt a normal person ever would.
Machine wash is OK but keep it under 30 degrees. don't mix with any other coloured cars and do NOT tumble dry under any circumstances!

I used to take my Rav4's through the local IMO car wash, making use of the unlimited wash club for years, and never noticed any particular damage.

BUT, when I got my model 3 - things were going to change! I spent over 3k on front PPF and Ceramic Coating all over so I'd be damned if I was going to risk damaging it at that nasty old drive through car wash!

I spent about £200 in halfords....buckets, snow foam sprayer, the works and every single week I was out there, diligently following the 2 bucket method videos that I had seen on youtube. I even risked flooding the house by fitting an outside tap at the front (which had to be fed from the back) so that I could run my jetwash easily.

Then it started raining a lot.

Then it got really bloody cold.

Honestly....after just a couple of days with all the salt on the roads, it looks like crap again and after a 60 hour week with only 2 days off....I just don't think I can be bothered anymore with the hassle of washing it. I did try once or twice to get away with a quick snowfoam and jetwash rinse, but our water is SO bad that it ended up leaving more chalky spots than ever, but when its hammering down with rain, what do you do.....

Seriously considering firing up the ol IMO membership again and using that, although my local seems to have changed management/staff and they are not as friendly as they once were.

There's a 'touch-free' self car wash not far from where I live. Basically its a valeting bay/machine where you stick some credit in (via contactless payment) and you get a set timer to use as many of the functions as you want. Basically gives you all of the snow foaming, hot washing, wax, wheel cleaning stuff, etc etc.

It's not as thorough as washing it all manually with two buckets, etc. but its very decent.
There used to be loads of these about, they were great. Would opt for this hands down over the hand wash guys that I revert too when it’s too cold to do it myself!

Reactions: DM206433 and init6
I used to take my Rav4's through the local IMO car wash, making use of the unlimited wash club for years, and never noticed any particular damage.

BUT, when I got my model 3 - things were going to change! I spent over 3k on front PPF and Ceramic Coating all over so I'd be damned if I was going to risk damaging it at that nasty old drive through car wash!

I spent about £200 in halfords....buckets, snow foam sprayer, the works and every single week I was out there, diligently following the 2 bucket method videos that I had seen on youtube. I even risked flooding the house by fitting an outside tap at the front (which had to be fed from the back) so that I could run my jetwash easily.

Then it started raining a lot.

Then it got really bloody cold.

Honestly....after just a couple of days with all the salt on the roads, it looks like crap again and after a 60 hour week with only 2 days off....I just don't think I can be bothered anymore with the hassle of washing it. I did try once or twice to get away with a quick snowfoam and jetwash rinse, but our water is SO bad that it ended up leaving more chalky spots than ever, but when its hammering down with rain, what do you do.....

Seriously considering firing up the ol IMO membership again and using that, although my local seems to have changed management/staff and they are not as friendly as they once were.
you're just down the road from me....Chelmsford. what is an IMO car wash? Not seen or heard of those.

you're just down the road from me....Chelmsford. what is an IMO car wash? Not seen or heard of those.
Its a chain, semi automated car wash where you get pulled through from one end to the other. You've got one in Waterhouse lane. As I said I've never had any noticeable damage from them....but ymmv.

Plus the Subscription is something like £25-30 depending on what package you go for a month? Its been a while. That gets you 12 washes per month.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-11 134019.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-11 134019.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 70
Reactions: Leejmoff
The beauty of white cars. I certainly wouldn’t but still you can get away with it with white, not on darker cars though!

White does hide the surface scratches, but they are still there if you look with the right angle of light.

I have this annoying problem where I can't help but check, I wish I worried less. I hand wash myself, two buckets for me and I take far too long doing it.

However, keeping to the question, all these places vary lots. Two car washes of the same brand can be very different.

Might be worth asking around locally. I know some who use a mobile car wash/valet, not too much more expensive for just a wash and you want peace of mind. They come at regular times and wash the car at home/work. The good ones know what they are doing and won't have any problem with you asking questions about their wash technique.

Just a thought.