Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car will be garaged for 4 months - any issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Set the charger limit to 20% to reduce lithium plating and prevent increase of internal resistance.
If possible, keep the garage temperature low
Interesting that different markets and locations changes features. Here in US, I'm not able to adjust below 50% Wish I could for 50% with buffer is actually approx. 55 pct.

Have a neighbor come in start it up, run the fluids through, Na, just kidding. There's not much to worry about. If it was outside, I would recommend mothballs to keep the rodents away but inside the garage is a perfect place to leave it. As mentioned, airing up the tires is a good idea. Radial tires in most cases don't leave flat spots as it was with bias tires so you should be good for 4 months or more.
Oh just thought of something. Contact your insurance provider and see if you can obtain a reduction in price leaving it garaged for that timeframe.

I will be travelling overseas for four months in 2024. I plan to leave my 2022 Model 3 parked in the garage and connected to the charger. Are there any other issues or considerations I should be aware of?

Once someone in the Nissan LEAF forum left their car garaged for 15 months. They parked it in a well insulated basement on a charge of 75%. They then disconnected the (lead-acid) 12V battery so that the car would be completely deactivated. 15 months later, they first recharged the 12V battery for 24 hours, reconnected it, and turned the car on. The LEAF traction battery had lost about 15% charge or 1% per month.

They then fully charged the traction battery and tested the car out. Everything was fine except the brakes were a bit grabby and there was a slight mouldy smell.

For 4 months, just leave the car plugged in with charge level set to 50%.

• Helpful
Reactions: RichardV
Set the charger limit to 20% to reduce lithium plating
This is a study of Panasonic nickel Li-ion batteries
The graph shows storage at 2 temperatures 25C and 50C and batteries at varrious SoC
The lower SoC the better - blue line

There also seems to be a significant difference between 50% and 60% - 2 groups: the top group is 0-50% and bottom group is 60-100%

In fact Tesla recommends transporting batteries with a SoC below 48% while transporting by ground or below 28% by air.
Transportation is analogous to storing a battery.

With the LFP battery, I thought it was better to have it charged to 100% while idle for extended periods. Is that incorrect
Even with LFP battery storing for several months should be done at low SoC
The 100% is only to allow theBMS to estimate battery range. This does not need to be done while it is stored.

Its also something to think about because our EV spend most of their time asleep (with the battery basically asleep and in one sense in "storage")

Overall Soc of 50% is easiest because if you have the charging plug connected, it will more or less keep the charge at 50% while below 50% requires manual monitoring and manual charge starts and stops.

Screen Shot 2023-12-10 at 5.26.20 pm.png

Reactions: Jimboctoz