Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won’t turn off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
NH
My car has sat most of the weekend plugged in charged to 80%

I went in and out of car a couple times. I’m getting my garage insulated in the morning. So I unplugged UMC that’s normally mounted on the wall and the Tesla symbol was red and it would not unplug. I just read the threads on folks getting a false set of errors on the manual release. I had those 3 errors on the dash. I manually released the plug fine. I rebooted car, and in few minutes the errors were gone. Great the forum really helped knowing not to panic on that.

Garage is at 50F.

I drove the car a few feet and walked away. Thought it was all set. But the cars motors/fans have not shut off. Rebooted car and phone. Still won’t shut off. I’m worried 12V battery might be dead by morning. I’ve waited several hours. On hold for 15 min with roadside assistance (I couldn’t find and other support line).

I’d prefer not do a factory reset if I can avoid it. Mainly because I have whole bunch of presets in the radio.

I’m on 44.2

Any suggestions?

I might try charging to 85% to see if it kicks it into normal gear again.

Update: After it finished charging it finally turned off.

Not sure if it’s rectified or not but I’m gonna leave it till tomorrow and leave it plugged in for the night (which I normally do). I just wanted everything for insulation guys out of the way when they arrive at 7AM (which is early for me and I have bunch of other stuff that had to wait til morning to get out of their way). This is spray on stuff.

Car seemed to lose its marbles today. I wonder if this is part of the reason 44.2 was put on hold. I’ll be happy when I get 46.x or was it 42.6, I forget, arrives.

I have noticed that now with cold weather (NJ) my car stays on anywhere from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours after driving from work to home 8 miles. I can hear noises that I think it's the battery coolant pump running. At work the car is parked outside in the cold, at home the car is in a heated garage, 65 degrees. So I think the car runs the coolant pump to warm the battery using ambiance temperature.

As somebody said, this whirring noise is a pump noise, I don't think you have to worry about as looks like all car have it and it is not related to 44.2. I would like to know what is this noise in details and why carr does it even it stays untouched with perfect temperature in a garage but never got the explanation. Sometimes it takes more than an hour after it parked, sometimes just does it in random time. In a summer it does it also. It is not a eating or cooling battery, just a coolant circulation. Until I know the reason it looks to me as a wasting energy.

I’ll be honest I didn’t time it, but it felt like a couple hours. If it does it again I start a timer and won’t do anything for a couple hours.

It didn’t start this extended shutdown until I went to unplug it and it ran into that false manual port release thing that others users ran into. I think it was related like a cpu rebooted when another didn’t and it was all out sync. I think reboot screen only reboots a fraction of the car.

It’s never done this before. I know it can take a while to shutdown everything, I’m used to that. But I don’t normally leave it in there unplugged either. Maybe it would of stopped if I just plugged it back in without recharging.

I agree it may be unrelated to 44.2 but I highly suspect the false manual release error is related to 44.2. Since they did muck with code in that area in 44.x

I can’t say for sure the extended pump shutdown was related or not. But it felt like it was (like the car was not fully initialized). I could be full crap to and it was only 35 minutes too :)

Thanks. I’ll watch it, but not to closely, if you know what I mean.

Did it again tonight. Waited for 1 hour.

While waiting I saw this post on another forum. I think he nailed it.

Charge port wouldn't release connector

My battery limit was set to 60% (because I don't want to charge every day for short commutes) and my battery was at like 65%
I get home and plug in. Before 44.2 it would always lock the charge port no matter what.
Now on 44.2 and later (I'm on 46.2 now) if it does not start a charge when you plug in it does not lock the port.

If the Car sees it does not have to charge (like it did again tonight), it immediately does a "Charge Completed" and never locks the port.
But since 44.2 it doesn't go to sleep when it goes through those states.

The first time I had this, I took a hunch and set it to charge 5% more and let it finish on it's own. That worked and the car shut off.
Tonight, I really didn't want to charge 5% again. So all I did was slide the limit up to 70%, port locked and charge started.
Then I immediately slid it back to 60%, port unlocked and charge Completed. 10 minutes later (when I checked on it) the car shutdown fully.

The link above stated his won't shutdown until his scheduled charge runs. Which is almost exactly what I observed. I just manually trigged the charge to start and stop.

As his post states. This update (44.2 "Cold Weather") is a mess. They rushed out something that was not fully tested and made things worse. Oh and this morning I had to use the manual release again.

I think some of the "Cold Weather" functionality depends on temperature.

I dread to think what they did with the Windows for the "cold weather" update.