Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won't go in reverse goes into neutral instead..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the car 1 week. love it, and this just happened a few minutes ago. Car is parked in my driveway, nothing behind the car for at least 10 feet, put my foot on the brake, shifted up to go in Reverse, car goes into Neutral instead. Repeated the step several times still would not go in Reverse, Shifted car into Forward, moved car forward about 5 feet, shifted to Park, then shifted to Reverse and it finally worked. Drove car out to street in front of the house, no cars no obstructions. Same thing happened, car would not shift from Park to Reverse, jumps to Neutral. Crazy. Drove car around the neighborhood, tried going into Reverse from Park, several times ..no problems. Went back to the house, same problem occurred. Called Tesla support, while in Park, they had me pump the brakes several times, then car shifted to Reverse normally. Told them to download or record what occurred the last 20 minutes form the car's onboard computers and they are going to get back to me tomorrow. Has anyone else experience this?

Had the car 1 week. love it, and this just happened a few minutes ago. Car is parked in my driveway, nothing behind the car for at least 10 feet, put my foot on the brake, shifted up to go in Reverse, car goes into Neutral instead. Repeated the step several times still would not go in Reverse, Shifted car into Forward, moved car forward about 5 feet, shifted to Park, then shifted to Reverse and it finally worked. Drove car out to street in front of the house, no cars no obstructions. Same thing happened, car would not shift from Park to Reverse, jumps to Neutral. Crazy. Drove car around the neighborhood, tried going into Reverse from Park, several times ..no problems. Went back to the house, same problem occurred. Called Tesla support, while in Park, they had me pump the brakes several times, then car shifted to Reverse normally. Told them to download or record what occurred the last 20 minutes form the car's onboard computers and they are going to get back to me tomorrow. Has anyone else experience this?
Do you have your seat belt on??? If the driver is not wearing a seat belt the car shifts into park....

You probably know this, but just in case... Were you pushing the shifter all the way up? It has two "detents", like the turn signal, if you only push it to the first one it goes to neutral, you have to push it to the second to get to reverse.