Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbon Fiber B Pillar panel overlays

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are some shots showing the piece relative to the plane of the front and rear windows.

DSC_5280.jpg

DSC_5283.jpg

This shot with a straight edge showing the gap -- it's about 1/16". Not bad at all.

DSC_5285.JPG

I'm curious, which specific pieces are in the other two packages?

The three packages include a nose cone package (CF for the area framing the Tesla "T" inside the chrome frame, an area in the middle of the nose cone with new chrome frame and the top of the air dam 'splitter'), an upper body package (this includes the B-pillars and CF accents for the door handles), and a lower body package (includes CF accents for lower body side moldings, door sills (front and back), and the rear air diffuser with new 'chrome' frame). I have it all on my Model S (pics to be posted on our site soon).

They look really good, but that's a lot of 3M mounting foam. I'm sure this was tested, but wouldn't mounting tape around the perimeter of the piece be just as effective? I totally get that it needs to be a semi-permanent fixture that's not easily removed (either accidentally or maliciously), but man, that stuff really, really sticks. I used it to temporarily mount my laser shifters before drilling holes for screws, but 18 months later, no screws, and the laser shifters are rock-solid, it what's a fairly aggressive environment (low on the front bumper).

Cool idea though.

side note nice lanyard and FobPocket :)

They look really good, but that's a lot of 3M mounting foam. I'm sure this was tested, but wouldn't mounting tape around the perimeter of the piece be just as effective? I totally get that it needs to be a semi-permanent fixture that's not easily removed (either accidentally or maliciously), but man, that stuff really, really sticks. I used it to temporarily mount my laser shifters before drilling holes for screws, but 18 months later, no screws, and the laser shifters are rock-solid, it what's a fairly aggressive environment (low on the front bumper).

Cool idea though.

side note nice lanyard and FobPocket :)

My guess is that all that mounting tape is necessary protection from aerodynamic forces on the side of the car at speed. With tape only on the edges if any air got under the piece it would balloon up and be gone in a flash, not to say provide a potential safety hazard if it struck a following car.

I just finished making my own carbon fiber B Pillar covers. wasn't too difficult, if you know what you're doing that is. I have an old glass top desk I used as the underside of the vacuum bag to get the mirror finish right out of the vacuum bag.
IMG_3983-1.jpg
IMG_3995.JPG
IMG_4005.jpg
FullSizeRender-3.jpg
IMG_4025.JPG
IMG_4069.JPG
IMG_4018.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4018.JPG
    IMG_4018.JPG
    964 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_4018.JPG