Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbon fiber spoiler loose

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or just get a spoiler that doesn't hang off the back, and instead sits on top of the trunk, like this one:

https://amzn.to/2GB5ptI

Yeah, it's a different style, but I love the way it looks on mine (below). And it hasn't budged since I installed it, even using it like a trunk handle (but I mostly close the trunk by pushing down on the license plate.)

IMG_0529.JPG
IMG_0528.JPG
IMG_0519.JPG
IMG_0793.JPG

• Love
Reactions: Halloween81
I wouldn't be surprised if they all come off at some point. When you pull the trunk down, aren't you kinda forced to pull it down by the spoiler?
I've had moments where I had to stop before dropping the trunk so I have to try to always remember to lift down from inside the handles but it's really inconvenient that Tesla hasn't made an automatic trunk opener or closer..smh

Reactions: Stevedore
Or just get a spoiler that doesn't hang off the back, and instead sits on top of the trunk, like this one:

https://amzn.to/2GB5ptI

Yeah, it's a different style, but I love the way it looks on mine (below). And it hasn't budged since I installed it, even using it like a trunk handle (but I mostly close the trunk by pushing down on the license plate.)

View attachment 435842 View attachment 435844 View attachment 435847 View attachment 435848
Omg!! Yes...that looks amazing

I bought an OEM spoiler off eBay, to use as a handle to close my trunk, since I feared I’d eventually scratch the paint on the back of the trunk. I installed it myself and it seems to be sticking well. I can’t imagine it ever coming off. I’m baffled as to what these mobile rangers and SC techs are doing that there are so many problems. Do they heat the 3M tape before installing? That can make a huge difference.

• Helpful
Reactions: Halloween81
I have now had my spoiler for about a month. I live in the Palm Springs area so temps have been sitting at around 115 degrees this week. I was very happy with the initial installation of the spoiler and both sides were securely fastened. I have been very careful to NOT use the spoiler as a handle to close the trunk. Now I am beginning to notice that the left (drivers) side of the spoiler is starting to lift. I believe it is a combination of the tape letting go and the spoiler actually distorting from the heat. I really like the look of the spoiler and would prefer to keep it on if it will not get too big of a separation. I park in a garage so no leaves to worry about on a daily basis to get stuck.

Ive seen video's of the latest installations and the mobile SC tech heated the trunk lid and tape with a heat gun. Also used 3m adhesion promoter so i will try and install mine this week using those steps.

Reactions: KenC