Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cargo hitch, towing mode, AP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was under the impression you could turn OFF tow mode in some case (cargo carrier vs trailer) and use AutoPilot. AFAIK you can not use AP while towing an actual trailer in 'tow mode'.
Yep, it is my experience that you cannot use AutoPilot while in tow mode. The question of turning off tow mode with a cargo carrier is an interesting one, and a question I cannot answer. I hope others chime in with their experiences.

My Yakima rack and roll is stored for the winter, however I only remember automatic tow-mode activation when plugging in the trailer lights. I might remember using my Thule bike rack hitch with autopilot, just that the rear sensors make noise such that summon in reverse is unusable.

When I had my Thule rack, my X didn't automatically switch to towing mode. The first time I used, I manually set towing mode in order to silence the beeping when in reverse, but then I couldn't use AutoPilot. So, I eventually settled with towing mode turned off and I also turned off rear sensor warnings so that I wasn't going crazy everytime I had it in reverse. I find this work best for me.

However, if you connect rear lights, it may automatically switch to towing mode. I haven't tried this configuration yet. I don't believe the cargo hitch rack you listed has a connection for rear lights, so you should experience the same as with my Thule rack. It's possible that this hitch rack may not set off your rear sensors, but I doubt it.

• Informative
Reactions: JimVandegriff
My Yakima rack and roll is stored for the winter, however I only remember automatic tow-mode activation when plugging in the trailer lights. I might remember using my Thule bike rack hitch with autopilot, just that the rear sensors make noise such that summon in reverse is unusable.
Noticed you have a Yakima rack and roll trailer. I am considering purchase and have a question about the electrical connection. My understanding is only rear lights are on the trailer. Does the Trailer electrical connector connect into the MX hitch electrical connector without modification? Thanks