Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carmax pricing: What am I missing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no mention of FSD but it seems some people are willing to pay more through other retailers than having to deal with Tesla's take it or leave it attitude. I saw a 2018 MR 3 here locally sell for $38,000. A brand new SR+ is rated for one less mile and goes for less with a 3 year longer warranty. People are crazy sometimes in their preferences.

There is no mention of FSD but it seems some people are willing to pay more through other retailers than having to deal with Tesla's take it or leave it attitude. I saw a 2018 MR 3 here locally sell for $38,000. A brand new SR+ is rated for one less mile and goes for less with a 3 year longer warranty. People are crazy sometimes in their preferences.

If someone is two weeks out from coming off a lease and needs a car, they might not be able to wait the 6-12 weeks Tesla occasionally quotes... though I thought Model 3 basically always had inventory now. On the other hand, if the Tesla store is 2 hours away and they have a used Tesla right in your city you might just get it there...

Carmax is quite fair in my experience in their appraisals.
They actually had the highest appraisals for 2 of my cars I recently took there.
The dealer I purchased the car from wanted my car and offered me $500 over Carmax appraisal
without even seeing it. They know me at the dealership. My car is a 2019 with 4k miles (I drive very little).
Another company that promises they will give you the highest price for your car is Auto Buy.
I just sold my 2008 Corvette conv. with 5k miles to them as they had the highest offer of even Carmax.
They gave me $1k more than Carmax because they already had the car sold to another dealer - I was lucky.
They paid me for the car based on the pictures I sent them - they never saw the car in person.
They even came with a flatbed the next day to pick it up. Very good selling experience.

Reactions: olsookie