Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay & Android Auto Hack - Walkthrough

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a Kindle 10 HD 2021 edition that we just got for my wife. I had tried to run the autokit.apk and Carlinkit dongle on it unsuccessfully. It would launch and the screen would go black. I messed around with the settings for the display. I think I got it to wokr once but the resolution was all messed up. I think the taskbar for CarPlay ended up on the bottom or something. It wasn't pretty. I didn't pursue it any further. I think I had installed the current download of autokit.apk version 2021.01.08.1651

Do you know what version you're running? What Kindle OS version are you on?
The issue is screen rotation. There is a rotate icon in the lower corner of auto kit that you have to tap. Also, do landscape before you plug in.

@PorthosJon have you had any issues with using your phone as a key?

I use my iPhone as my key for my car. Had the car just about three months now. I can only recall about three times, maybe four where the iPhone didn't work as the key and I had to get out the card. Two of those times where when I'd left a tablet or a phone on the center console.

It just happened last night / today when I left my new Samsung A20 in the car with the dongle plugged in. Also noticed it when I was testing the Lenovo tablet.

Wonder if there's some kind of Bluetooth interference while that phone or tablet is just sitting in the car for a long period of time.

@PorthosJon have you had any issues with using your phone as a key?

I use my iPhone as my key for my car. Had the car just about three months now. I can only recall about three times, maybe four where the iPhone didn't work as the key and I had to get out the card. Two of those times where when I'd left a tablet or a phone on the center console.

It just happened last night / today when I left my new Samsung A20 in the car with the dongle plugged in. Also noticed it when I was testing the Lenovo tablet.

Wonder if there's some kind of Bluetooth interference while that phone or tablet is just sitting in the car for a long period of time.
I've had that issue, even without the CarPlay in the car. It's usually the app logout, or a bluetooth conflict. Toggling BT off and on makes it work every time for me.

Wow, all of that dedication... you guys are impressive!

I have been running BearBu's box for nearly a year and it lets me toggle easily using an HDMI connector to iPhone or iPad and replaces the reverse camera screen image. It is mirroring, that is all, but toggled from the menu button on the RHS of the steering wheel. A long press toggles from rear camera view to the HDMI, and back again. Landscape orientation on the device fills the entire camera screen wonderfully.

While I understand we have not heard from BearBu for some time, the product he was involved with is still available on eBay (HDMI Interface Box for Tesla Model S / X | eBay). I am now using an HDMI switch to also add an IR camera to the mix. Power is fed through an HDMI connector with a power slot.

What I tend to do is dedicate one of my unused phones to run the mirror and keep the Bluetooth reserved for my actual phone and play streaming music from there as the HDMI connector will not carry the sound signal (though I could also BT stream from this device). This keeps everything sweet.

For mounting, I use magnet mounts - one just below the screen for the HDMI phone (as I will tend not to fiddle with that once underway) and another just below the vent between the screen and steering wheel. This is easily in sight and reachable if necessary. I have also used the higher location for the HDMI connected device if I do want to be able to reach it.

It would be wonderful if there were a simpler or less expensive way and you folks may crack it, but I think the benchmark right now is still the original. Simply providing CarPlay would be a godsend.

Interesting. So I suppose this could be done on the 3 / Y.
While I understand we have not heard from BearBu for some time, the product he was involved with is still available on eBay (HDMI Interface Box for Tesla Model S / X | eBay). I am now using an HDMI switch to also add an IR camera to the mix. Power is fed through an HDMI connector with a power slot.
I've envisioned how CarPlay would work natively on the Tesla system and imagined the CarPlay screen in a window about the size and shape of the backup camera on the Model 3 and Y. If such a device worked on the 3 / Y that would be really cool and really close to perfect. Only problem is is that it would not be touch interactive, it would only be a display. Now if you could stick on a clear touchscreen over that part of the screen I could see it being a really cool implementation.

For those that asked, I finally found a $15 mount that I can put on the cover of the storage and it holds it up nicely. Took this pic before a trip up to New England to see the parents.

carplay.jpg

Wow you guys are going to a lot of effort and expense for this. You must *really* want CarPlay....

Edit: I mean, all the power to you. But wow.
Yes … if one is a power user of Apple products (not the same as a fan boy) AND one “works” out of their car AND you have used  CarPlay for any period of time THEN it quickly becomes a requirement. LOL

The expense is ~ $200 and it’s not really a lot of effort (once you have the parts list).

Lack of a viable  CarPlay solution for Tesla was almost a show stopper in my buying my Tesla Model Y.

How are you getting it to hold in place under the screen like that?
The photo angle makes an optical illusion that makes it look like it is hanging from the primary display.

Right now it is simply “wedged” into the Qi Charging space. However, that is too far back a) to reach easily and b) the ambient light sensor is too dark.

Thus far I am not happy with any of the tablet mounts that I have been able to locate. So, I have designed my own and started shopping for 3D printers today.

No offense to anybody but, all of this is making the whole minimalist design interior philosophy pointless. if you guys so badly want to use phones (Carplay and Android Auto), what is the problem in just mounting your phone and using Siri/Google assistant in accomplishing what you guys want.

I exclusively use Pixel phones and the one and only reason is for its amazing google assistant, it is like having your personal assistant that you can have a natural conversation, you can just about ask anything you want to operate on the phone and it does it for you. Just mount your phone and ask it do do anything you want.

The big tablet screens with all the wires is very unpleasant to look at.

again, not trying to bash anybody but, cant understand the need to go to such lengths to accomplish a simple task.

No offense to anybody but, all of this is making the whole minimalist design interior philosophy pointless. if you guys so badly want to use phones (Carplay and Android Auto), what is the problem in just mounting your phone and using Siri/Google assistant in accomplishing what you guys want.

I exclusively use Pixel phones and the one and only reason is for its amazing google assistant, it is like having your personal assistant that you can have a natural conversation, you can just about ask anything you want to operate on the phone and it does it for you. Just mount your phone and ask it do do anything you want.

The big tablet screens with all the wires is very unpleasant to look at.

again, not trying to bash anybody but, cant understand the need to go to such lengths to accomplish a simple task.
Not sure I agree with you. I can tell you that my distraction factor for using CarPlay is significantly lower than just having my phone mounted. Also certain functions (like reading new messages) are automated when you are in CarPlay mode. Plus, I can view the combined screen and see nav, current audio, as well as location based queues to my HomeKit accessories.

Also, as to the "minimalist design interior philosophy", that is not really the case in the MY. The appointments might be minimalist, but the screen certainly is not. The distraction factor of the screen can be very high. Not to mention, that placing CarPlay/Android Car in a window as an option wouldn't really impact the functionality of the Tesla, it is a choice that the company has made because they have their reasons.

The photo angle makes an optical illusion that makes it look like it is hanging from the primary display.

Right now it is simply “wedged” into the Qi Charging space. However, that is too far back a) to reach easily and b) the ambient light sensor is too dark.

Thus far I am not happy with any of the tablet mounts that I have been able to locate. So, I have designed my own and started shopping for 3D printers today.
Looking forward to what you create!

what is the problem in just mounting your phone and using Siri/Google assistant in accomplishing what you guys want.
Because the iPhone screen is not the same as the CarPlay screen. The iPhone screen is designed for normal phone use. CarPlay is designed to be simple, minimal and quick. It controls the same functions but is made to minimize distractions from driving.

Wow you guys are going to a lot of effort and expense for this. You must *really* want CarPlay....

Edit: I mean, all the power to you. But wow.
I thought I was going to be someone who ended up doing this but I have found that I can get my phone to read and send texts (biggest car play use for me, Tesla's text support implementation sucks, IMO) by using hey siri. It triggers the bluetooth and works well enough for me.

I also have a phone mount on the dash to keep tabs on cops for road trips.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
For those that asked, I finally found a $15 mount that I can put on the cover of the storage and it holds it up nicely. Took this pic before a trip up to New England to see the parents.

View attachment 686077
I see in the photo that the Tesla App appears in CarPlay. It's interesting that Tesla don't support CarPlay natively but they went to the trouble of making their app CarPlay compatible. They must know it's a highly sought after feature and that people are hacking up solutions like this. It is my understanding that you have to jump through certain non standard app requirements to get your app to be available in CarPlay.