Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cars to Buy or Lease While Waiting for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@wbrumfiel I have a '12 G37x and it's a great car. I was going to suggest it in this thread until I realize that all of the suggestions were EV (or close). Gas mileage is not fantastic, but it's a great sports sedan with nice luxury features at a good value.
Lol the gas mileage isn't fantastic it's horrendous. The car is awesome though. Love the sportiness and it being NA and no turbo lag. Plus like you said they can be found pretty cheap compared to the other luxury sports cars.

It's not fancy but I just picked up a base Nissan Leaf off lease for 9k flat.
It's certainly one of the cheaper options.
Yep. Leafs have terrible resale value. I bought my used '13 Leaf SV w/premium package w/all capacity bars (still has them all) for $9325 + tax and license in July 2015. It was to replace the '13 SV w/both packages that was going back at end of 2 years lease.

If the range will work for the OP, buying a used one (not at a Nissan franchise dealer, as they mark them up a lot) might be a good intermediate step. At the end, it'll still have greater than $0 value.

The last pages of the wholesale value threads at Buying / Leasing / Dealerships - My Nissan Leaf Forum will give you an idea of what they go for at auction. Nissan/NMAC has a deal with Manheim - Media Releases. I'd add a reasonable markup to the auction price and fees.

My used car dealer's markup was only $1K above his Manheim auction cost.

For european country you can choose to lease Renault Zoe a nice great EV with a better looking than a leaf :) and the same range ;)
Offre_du_mois.jpg

Picked up a legacy 2.5 (38mpg) with eyesight and awd. as soon as my first 3 is ready I'll ditch the Subaru.

My daily commute is 100 miles round trip and I need room for 3 car seats in the back so the current ev market doesn't work for me on both range and space

My Prius must have figured out that I'm seeing other cars. :oops: It's going through oil quite quickly. It's going in to the mechanic next week. Hopefully, it's something that can be repaired without breaking the bank. Otherwise, it's a couple of years in a hoopdee for me. :(

Funny you should say that. When I started my '08 Prius to drive home after having reserved a 3 in store, it started making a rattling I had never heard before. Turned out to only be a loose heat shield, but I'm convinced that it knew what I was up to...

My Prius must have figured out that I'm seeing other cars. :oops: It's going through oil quite quickly. It's going in to the mechanic next week. Hopefully, it's something that can be repaired without breaking the bank. Otherwise, it's a couple of years in a hoopdee for me. :(
Same here! My 2001 Prius must have sensed I was lusting after another car. Last year, the traction battery crapped out and I had a terrible feeling that I would need to get a replacement car and that would mean the end of my dream to get the Model 3. My options were to buy or lease a new car, buy a used car or replace the battery. It's much easier to justify getting a new Tesla to replace a car I've had for 17 years than one I've only had for 2 years, so I opted to replace the battery. Hopefully, my Prius appreciates the attention and money I've spent on her and will keep running until my Model 3 arrives.

It's not fancy but I just picked up a base Nissan Leaf off lease for 9k flat. Plenty of range to get my thru my paltry commute and I should see some savings in fuel and maintenance at least till the M3 ships. It's certainly one of the cheaper options.
Used Nissan Leafs are so incredibly cheap right now. If you've never owned a fully electric car before, pick one up and drive it for the next 2-3 years to get a feel for the technology.

I'm signing a novated lease for a Leaf tomorrow! :)

(As an aside - I'm not sure if a "novated lease" is the same as the leases being discussed by those in the US. Basically it is the ability to pay for the vehicle over a period of time and all associated expenses via fixed amount deducted from my salary before tax is taken out (that's the key point). Usually people do it with new cars, but I was able to get a really great deal by sourcing and identifying a second hand Leaf that I wanted to package. At the end of the lease I can pay a fixed amount to own the car. People who do it with new cars either "re-package" the remaining value of the car for a few more years, or "trade-up" and lease a new model. I'm not sure if either of these options will be available with a car which will be 7 years old by the time the lease expires, but my intention is to buy it out anyway.

The financially sensible thing to do would be to continue to drive your existing vehicle. In lieu of that, purchase a gently used Civic, Camry, etc. to hold you over until you take possession (and shake the bugs out of) a Model 3. Then sell / repurpose it.

Leasing something makes no sense, since there is no way to predict delivery of your Model 3 and you have a hard date to return your lease.

Save your $ for yet unannounced and unpriced options you know you will want.

• Helpful
Reactions: SΞXY P100D
I'll be seeing if my 2011 Leaf with 83,000 miles can continue to make the 30 mile drive to work each day until my M3 arrives. The range is down to 40 to 50 miles now (55 vs. 65 mph) with 67% battery capacity at a full charge here in Oregon. The resale value sucks, so I may spend $6000 and have a new battery installed vs. Buying a $1000 POS ICE. I refuse to go back to a stinky, old tech, polluting ICE.

I'll be seeing if my 2011 Leaf with 83,000 miles can continue to make the 30 mile drive to work each day until my M3 arrives. The range is down to 40 to 50 miles now (55 vs. 65 mph) with 67% battery capacity at a full charge here in Oregon. The resale value sucks, so I may spend $6000 and have a new battery installed vs. Buying a $1000 POS ICE. I refuse to go back to a stinky, old tech, polluting ICE.

Wow! That's some battery degradation right there! I found a used 2013 with full capacity and at my braggiest moment I can get 95 miles on my charge. Are you using the A/C and staying out of the eco mode? What's your avg speed? Are you still within the battery replacement warranty with Nissan?

The upside is you live in Oregon :) I'd take a broken leaf in OR over a new one in Atlanta any day haha.

Wow! That's some battery degradation right there! I found a used 2013 with full capacity and at my braggiest moment I can get 95 miles on my charge. Are you using the A/C and staying out of the eco mode? What's your avg speed? Are you still within the battery replacement warranty with Nissan?

The upside is you live in Oregon :) I'd take a broken leaf in OR over a new one in Atlanta any day haha.

It's not the AC or the Eco Mode that kills my range but two thousand feet of elevation gain each day and the Columbia Gorge winds that I drive into. I have a lifetime average of 3.3 miles per kilowatt-hour. I Drive 20 miles at 65 miles per hour and another ten miles between 40 and 55 miles an hour to get to work. The summer months in The Dalles where it sits during work days, the battery Cooks. Cooler evenings and weekends at the base of Mount Hood have not slowed the battery degradation. The warranty expired at 60,000 miles or five years whichever came first so I will not be getting any new battery less I decide to purchase it. Congratulations on your 2013 Leaf. I hope it is a great car for you as mine has been despite my battery degradation. The nice thing is that is I have been able to put all of my fuel savings costs over the last five years toward the Tesla.

I am driving a 2005 Toyota Highlander with 85,000 miles on it. My kid turns 15 this summer, and my intention is to let him have this vehicle when he turns 16, (when school starts).

That puts me in 2017. I don't believe the 3 will be ready for me by then. (I'm in Colorado). So, I may need to pick up another vehicle to get me by. Maybe a used Volt? I really like the car, but want AWD since we can get some nasty weather.