Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carscoops reporting free upgrade to 75kWh battery, huh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reported today on carscoops.com (my emphasis):

"On the AWD Model S 70D, the range will increase from 240 miles (386 km) to 259 miles (417 km). Unlocking the 5 kWh will set you back for $3,250 once you have purchased the entry-level 70/70D, but order it that way from the start and you will have to pay $3,000.

However, customers who bought a facelifted Model S 70/70D between April 11 and May 5 will get the extra juice free of charge. Moreover, Tesla will swap the "70" badge for a "75" one next time the car is taken in for servicing."

Can't find another source for this information. Just wondering...that's not what the email Tesla sent me said.

I think they mean that you only have to pay the $3000 to upgrade. There's no $250 additional charge to add at a later date since it wasn't available when they placed their order originally. Also, there's no $500 order change fee for orders that were already confirmed before news of the 75D came out.

If that's not what they meant to say, then I think they misunderstood other sites when rehashing the article to use on their site.

Last edited: