Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carwash Method?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what method are you washing your car with?

I just tried the rinseless wash but did not come out as shiny as I anticipated. Has anyone tried this method?

When I picked up my car it rained the next few days so I did not get to enjoy how shiny it was.

What does everyone use in northern states in the winter when temps are aob freezing? Don't want to take the car to a 'regular' car wash so I'm assuming some sort of touchless wash is in order. Can't imagine being out in 0 F trying to get salt off the car.

I was doing two bucket, but just picked up a Sun Joe SPX3500 pressure washer, which makes cleaning the car, which has ceramic pro, a breeze. I tried to clean my wife's civic afterwards with the same method (touchless!) and it didn't quite work as well :)

Sun Joe electric pressure washer, foam cannon, and ~6 wash mitts. Wipe a panel, flip mitt, wipe another panel, grab a new mitt.

Not a fan of 2 bucket since you are not likely to get the dirt out of the wash mitt with a couple dunks. Plus you use a lot more water filling buckets. Easier to throw all the mitts into the washing machine at the end to ensure they're as dirt free as possible.

Rinseless method for me. Here in drought-plagued California, rinseless has been a godsend

ONR (Optimum No Rinse) in bucket. Several microfiber towels. Put several MF towels in bucket with ONR solution. Take one, fold it into 4ths. Wipe down one panel, then flip the towel so I get a fresh side for a second panel. Dry the two panels using a drying towel. Do two more panels, flipping the MF towel so each panel gets a fresh side of the towel. Once 4 sides of the MF towel have been used, it's done for the session. Start the 5th panel with a new MF towel. This way, no dirt ever makes it back to the wash solution bucket. No need for a

When drying, I typically spray a light mist of quick detailer. This helps to bring out the shine.

Not a fan of 2 bucket since you are not likely to get the dirt out of the wash mitt with a couple dunks. Plus you use a lot more water filling buckets. Easier to throw all the mitts into the washing machine at the end to ensure they're as dirt free as possible.

I guess I technically use the 1-bucket method with a second bucket just for holding the dirty cloths. First bucket is clean water with ONR. I use about 5 microfiber washcloths I got on Amazon and throw them all in the clean bucket. Use one cloth until it's dirty, then it's thrown in the the second bucket, which is either empty or just a little water to keep the dirty rags wet to prevent the stains from setting.

Two buckets, both with grit guards, pressure washer, foam cannon, freshly cleaned microfiber mitts and towels. Only have had to time to wash my 3 twice so far but this method seems to be working very well for me.

I use dry cleaner. Wash wax all from Amazon.
Hands down the quickest method that I have tried. Partly because you don't have to move the car out of the garage. I also like that it saves water and creates less corrosion on the car.

Edit: Obviously I don't get the wheel arches and underbelly rinsed. How often would you all say I should take the car out for underside rinse?

Last edited:
My Opti-Coated Model 3 gets the two bucket Optimum No Rinse method as described above. However I add one additional first step where I use a pre-soak spray (one capful ONR with water in a spray bottle). Pre-soak spray is especially useful on the wheels and tires, and also around the wheel wells, rocker panels, lower door panels, and rear hatchback which get excessively dirty.

Using this method the dirt just falls off and I am able to get it done in under an hour. And using only two buckets of water certainly helps our drought condition in SoCal.

Was using ONR via two bucket (and will use that if water restrictions get out in place again), but now I use a SunJoe electric washer and a MTM foam cannon with honeydew foam from Cemical Guys.

I use After Wash to help drying and that seems to give a really nice shine.

Reactions: mekberg
Have taken the 3 thru the quality soft cloth wash operator we have in Highland Park, IL for 5 months now and it looks great. Need to show the out front guys how to put it in Neutral, tho. Been running my 2016 MXP90D thru the same soft cloth wash operator for over 2 years and always looks great. For quick dustings and clean up, I use a Kozak polishing cloth. Order off Amazon.

Was using ONR via two bucket (and will use that if water restrictions get out in place again), but now I use a SunJoe electric washer and a MTM foam cannon with honeydew foam from Cemical Guys.

I use After Wash to help drying and that seems to give a really nice shine.
Same here with one exception.
Deionized water using Double-chuck
By CR Spotless. It’s awesome. I don’t even need to towel dry. Most of the water blows off with a leaf blower. No water spots.
https://crspotless.com/product/double-chuck-dark-blue/
FDAD2036-0C7C-454F-9E20-67B809A630F6.jpeg

Same here with one exception.
Deionized water using Double-chuck
By CR Spotless. It’s awesome. I don’t even need to towel dry. Most of the water blows off with a leaf blower. No water spots.
https://crspotless.com/product/double-chuck-dark-blue/
View attachment 308507

I am envious of your car wash station organizer!! I really need to clean out my garage. I have been eyeballing the various DI systems. We have soft water on our outdoor faucets, but it is still a lot of work to beat the wind and sun.

Do you do the whole wash with DI water, or just the final rinse?

I use dry cleaner. Wash wax all from Amazon.
Hands down the quickest method that I have tried. Partly because you don't have to move the car out of the garage. I also like that it saves water and creates less corrosion on the car.

Edit: Obviously I don't get the wheel arches and underbelly rinsed. How often would you all say I should take the car out for underside rinse?

How many towels you have to use with this product?

I just washed my M3 for the first time yesterday. I used a Chapin foaming house end sprayer (since I don’t have a pressure washer) with Meguiars Gold. Then finished it off with Hydro2 and dried it with microfiber towels. Drying the car took the most time, but it turned out really nice. Super shiny and silky smooth. Probably looks better than the day I picked it up.

Reactions: WallyP
I just washed my M3 for the first time yesterday. I used a Chapin foaming house end sprayer (since I don’t have a pressure washer) with Meguiars Gold. Then finished it off with Hydro2 and dried it with microfiber towels. Drying the car took the most time, but it turned out really nice. Super shiny and silky smooth. Probably looks better than the day I picked it up.
* hose end sprayer