Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter Support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whatever. My point is the same. As a stockholder I'd rather see them focus on something else besides a few CCS retrofits. Maybe fixing the autowipers. Or getting the Cybertruck updated with Autopilot. Or getting the new 'Model 2' out.

I would like to see an official retrofit, since I intend to keep my M3 for years. As long as the battery is under warranty, I would be hesitant to bypass an official retrofit since this is charging related.

I would like to see an official retrofit, since I intend to keep my M3 for years. As long as the battery is under warranty, I would be hesitant to bypass an official retrofit since this is charging related.
As the days pass by in your ownership, the issue will become smaller and smaller. Tesla is installing more sites that anyone else and will continue to do so for a long time.

As the days pass by in your ownership, the issue will become smaller and smaller. Tesla is installing more sites that anyone else and will continue to do so for a long time.

It is 100% a non-issue for me now, where I live. But there is the possibility I will be moving in the next year or so. When you leave the two coasts, supercharger access is not the same.

As of right now, I've only used Superchargers 3 times. Everything is home L2 or free L2 at my local grocery store. But eventually we will get back into road trips, and it would be nice to have options (if we take our M3).

The reason they are in the conversation is because Tesla include it in their literature...

That was what it said all last year when was checking monthly. The date was eventually changed to January 2024, and now has changed again to indicate that it is not compatible with the Cybertruck (and does not have a date).

If you are upset about the 3 being part of the conversation, I would take that up with Tesla. And if you say "all Model Ys were eligible at one time." please show supportive documentation. I 100% believe that you had your Model Y retrofitted at Tesla, which is why I said "Those that have had it done, simply lucked out." Just like prior to the MY Biodefense retrofit people were able to get local SC's to activate the software. Just because a SC did it, does not mean it was an official retrofit... The S/X have had an official retrofit (supported by documentation on Tesla.com).

But if you have actual documentation that supports an official retrofit, I would be happy to say I am wrong.

I think that I finally see the difference. My Model Y was a June 2020, which was evidently after the CCS was enabled.

Sorry for the confusion.

Reactions: JayPaul
I managed to purchase a still-new Chademo adapter for $300 from a nice local seller this morning and confirmed it works with our 2021 Model Y. I would've preferred CCS support bit our August 2021-built Y falls within that window of supply chain problems and CCS is "not installed".

We are visiting Humboldt Redwoods State Park in a few weeks, with the Fort Bragg Supercharger as our home base. There are several L2 7kW stations in between but I wanted peace of mind of having the faster 50kW Chademo charging option. I am just glad the Chademo adapter still works as there are conflicting reports online -- Tesla Shop site says "not supported for 3/Y" but others report the adapter works in their Y. I am confirming it indeed works in our 2021 non-CCS MYLR and charges close to 1% per minute compared with 1% every 4-6 minutes with an L2 charger.

20240229_090049.jpg

Last edited:
Tesla Service responded back and said "Unfortunately, the CCS retrofit is not yet available to Model Y/3 vehicles at this time. You will receive a notification when it does release to your vehicle then you can create an appointment to get it set up."

I considered getting a pricey Chademo adapter but other threads suggest that isn't supported in North America and won't work anyways, plus Chademo is a dying connector. For now we've been fine relying on the Supercharger network for travels but it would be nice to also have the option of CCS. I guess I could borrow my brother's 2023 Model Y if I'm really worried about charging options, his probably has CCS enabled.

Between the onscreen options, ABRP, PlugShare, and ChargePoint account, I'm sure we'll be fine on the next roadtrip in our 2021 MYLR.
I have the Chademo adapter. I have never found a use for it in the US, and I have been looking. I have been to 25 states (90,000 miles). OTOH, the Chademo has been VERY useful in Canada, such as rural Quebec, Nova Scotia, and British Columbia. Note that all the CCS/Chademo chargers (except one) I used were limited to 50 kw even on the CCS side. One had fast charging for CCS. Another had only 25 kw for both Chademo and CCS.

CCS does not appear to gain much in a lot of Canada.

For me, it’s just the ability for the vehicle to “speak CCS” which as North America ends up with the Tesla plug I assume will be required to use non-Tesla L3+ chargers.

I want more options, especially if I move away from the coasts. I always intend to have home charging, but on trips it would be nice to hit any L3 charger and not limited to Tesla’s.

I have the Chademo adapter. I have never found a use for it in the US, and I have been looking. I have been to 25 states (90,000 miles). OTOH, the Chademo has been VERY useful in Canada, such as rural Quebec, Nova Scotia, and British Columbia. Note that all the CCS/Chademo chargers (except one) I used were limited to 50 kw even on the CCS side. One had fast charging for CCS. Another had only 25 kw for both Chademo and CCS.

We haven't traveled as extensively as you have (bravo to you!) but have taken many roadtrips since our first Tesla in 2019. The Supercharger network has been all we ever needed, but this upcoming trip to one of the State parks has me slightly concerned. There's a chance I'm just overly paranoid and we may end up not using the Chademo adapter at all on the trip (and thats fine), but I'd rather have the Chademo option and peace of mind rather than fret about our ability to get back to the hotel after a day of hiking.

Of course there are several L2 charger options along the way too but it's also the time factor.

We haven't traveled as extensively as you have (bravo to you!) but have taken many roadtrips since our first Tesla in 2019. The Supercharger network has been all we ever needed, but this upcoming trip to one of the State parks has me slightly concerned. There's a chance I'm just overly paranoid and we may end up not using the Chademo adapter at all on the trip (and thats fine), but I'd rather have the Chademo option and peace of mind rather than fret about our ability to get back to the hotel after a day of hiking.

Of course there are several L2 charger options along the way too but it's also the time factor.
I used to be paranoid, too. When I searched my route I never found an essential Chademo, ie, there wasn’t a Tesla charger I could have used. Chademo in the US seems to be only on main highways which already have substantial SC charging anyway. Areas with very sparse SC never had any Chademo at all.

Also remember Chademo/CCS chargers in the US have a rather low reliability. The three or four times I tested my Chad in the US I never got a successful charge. Didn’t matter since I was testing and depending on the charge. I admit I got frustrated with Chad in the US and perhaps could have wasted more time calling customer service, downloading yet another app, etc., but I gave up, no patience.

Identify which Chad might be useful and download the app ahead of time. Get your credit card accepted, etc. Check how reliable is the charger in PlugShare. Don’t just wander around hoping to find a working charger. Some charger has poor connectivity so you can’t turn on the charger/download the app.

I used to be paranoid, too. When I searched my route I never found an essential Chademo, ie, there wasn’t a Tesla charger I could have used. Chademo in the US seems to be only on main highways which already have substantial SC charging anyway. Areas with very sparse SC never had any Chademo at all.

Also remember Chademo/CCS chargers in the US have a rather low reliability. The three or four times I tested my Chad in the US I never got a successful charge. Didn’t matter since I was testing and depending on the charge. I admit I got frustrated with Chad in the US and perhaps could have wasted more time calling customer service, downloading yet another app, etc., but I gave up, no patience.

Identify which Chad might be useful and download the app ahead of time. Get your credit card accepted, etc. Check how reliable is the charger in PlugShare. Don’t just wander around hoping to find a working charger. Some charger has poor connectivity so you can’t turn on the charger/download the app.
Good advice and thank you.

I checked ahead on PlugShare and ChargePoint and the Chademo station I plan to use (as a backup) shows up as active/healthy with recent activity from others. But you're right, the system could experience an issue just when I need it.

I used an EVgo Chademo charger earlier today to run a test. It isn't as intuitive to use as plug-n-play Superchargers, but it accepted credit card payment just fine. Took a few more minutes and series of screen presses to get working but it did charge successfully. There were four EVgo charging stations and it appeared one was out of service. I just hope Chademo users treat the stations with care. Sometimes you see the cables strewn on the ground where vehicles run over and break the connectors. I never see this type of behavior at Superchargers. Maybe other EV customers are raging and taking it out on the charging stations.

Not sure if this has been posted but I went on my Tesla app today randomly, under service I was was given the option to schedule the CCS retrofit for my 21 M3

I scheduled it and got the the estimate
View attachment 1028092
Thanks for the heads up! I have this available under service in my app as well and scheduled a service for it. Looks like it'll be mobile service. I'm guessing we would buy the adapter afterwards since it doesn't appear to come with the service itself.

EDIT: Looks like the $350 price includes an adapter according to the website. But the website still says retrofit only available for S/X now. I guess we'll see what happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: TwistedNerv
They aren't doing the retrofits for 3/Y now. It is enabled on my '21 Y, but isn't on my '19 3. I put in a request this year, and it was cancelled noting that it is not available yet, even though the website said mid January 2024.

I havent read this entire thread, but I believe that Tesla is actually now doing the CCS retrofit for older model 3s. 2 model 3 owners, both of which own 2018 model year model 3s, reported scheduling service in the Tesla app for the retrofit AND getting it completed.

See this thread, starting from post #24:

Specifically, post #24 and #31 have 2 different members, in 2 different locations (one in Canada, one in Los Angeles CA) report being able to schedule AND get the adapter installed (for a fee).

Indeed, if you go to open the tesla app, select your vehicle you would like the ccs upgrade for, then service, ccs upgrade, you can put in a service request for it now. I just did this, this morning before making this post, for my 2018 model 3 performance. My appointment is next monday for the install.

• Helpful
Reactions: Acps110 and MP3Mike
Not sure if this has been posted but I went on my Tesla app today randomly, under service I was was given the option to schedule the CCS retrofit for my 21 M3

I scheduled it and got the the estimate
View attachment 1028092
Thank you for posting this! I scheduled the retrofit for next Thursday. Very excited for this even though I just bought the Chademo adapter, lol. Figures the timing would happen like this but oh well. 😀

I wonder how long the service will take. Hopefully they won't need the car for more than a few hours. We leave on our trip a few days after my scheduled appt. Hope there's no unexpected Supercharging issues after the retrofit or else we'd be stuck.

Are you guys getting mobile service for this or do you need to bring the car to SC? Mine is currently confirmed for mobile service and the service window is 4 hours. Based on videos I've seen on DIY installation of the ECU update, I think it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes for a Tesla technician to complete it.

Are you guys getting mobile service for this or do you need to bring the car to SC? Mine is currently confirmed for mobile service and the service window is 4 hours. Based on videos I've seen on DIY installation of the ECU update, I think it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes for a Tesla technician to complete it.
Mine is also mobile service with a 4hr window, but my experience is it often defaults to mobile service until the service appt gets reviewed and confirmed by a Tesla agent, at which time it can change to a service center visit. Hopefully mobile ranger can take care of it all in my driveway. 🤞

Reactions: gx9901
In typical Tesla fashion, when I put in a service request for this for my car through the app, under "retrofit" (along with some other stuff I decided to get done at the same time), my local Tesla location quoted me the other stuff but is telling me that "CCS retrofit is not available for your car".

This is even though I can schedule it in the app, and even though I gave them the part number quoted.

What I mean by "Typical tesla fashion" is that, its entirely likely that whomever at my local Tesla picked up my service request is not aware that this is now available, so telling me what they used to tell everyone else who put in requests for this... even though its available now and multiple people are getting it scheduled.

Dealing with Tesla can take inordinate amounts of patience, sigh... lol

Reactions: brkaus and MP3Mike
Perhaps... I canceled the appointment where I had added on a brake cleaning and wheel alignment, and am attempting to re schedule just the CCS retrofit. This time its offering me mobile service (which in my area the mobile techs would be coming from the same service center that just told me "not available".

Will see if this goes through this way without the other stuff on there. If it does, Tesla just lost out on me doing an overpriced (but convenient) wheel alignment and brake cleaning.

Reactions: MP3Mike