Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter Support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine is also mobile service with a 4hr window, but my experience is it often defaults to mobile service until the service appt gets reviewed and confirmed by a Tesla agent, at which time it can change to a service center visit. Hopefully mobile ranger can take care of it all in my driveway. 🤞
Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if it gets changed to SC or gets cancelled. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Tesla just confirmed my mobile appt for the retrofit. Apparently it is going to be $521 for me, possibly because I'm at 56K miles and out of warranty?

Screenshot_20240315_094028_Drive.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: MattChristian
Tesla messaged me back and said once the mobile ranger shows up, whatever isn't needed will be removed from the estimate. In fairness, I've seen the Service Center update and remove charges from the original estimate in the past. Excited to get the CCS retrofit completed soon and will provide extra peace of mind on roadtrips.

Reactions: ArtK
Tesla messaged me back and said once the mobile ranger shows up, whatever isn't needed will be removed from the estimate. In fairness, I've seen the Service Center update and remove charges from the original estimate in the past. Excited to get the CCS retrofit completed soon and will provide extra peace of mind on roadtrips.
My ‘20 LR MY is CCS-ready, and I own a Chademo and CCS adapter, just in case, and in 69,000 miles have never used them.

Just checked for the CCS adaptor kit for my 2021 Model Y . (You check by logging in so they can see which car you have.) It still says it's available for Model S and Model X only. Those who have other year Model Y cars may have a different experience.
The webpage still doesn't allow Model 3/Y retrofit, but if you go into Service section in the app, there should now be an option to do the CCS retrofit. A few of us have been successful getting an appointment for it through the app.

• Informative
Reactions: MattChristian
My ‘20 LR MY is CCS-ready, and I own a Chademo and CCS adapter, just in case, and in 69,000 miles have never used them.

As other manufacturers switch to NACS, there will be more 3rd party NACS L3+ chargers available. My understanding is, in order to use them, your car will have to be CCS compatible. So, to future proof, I have added the CCS retrofit for my 2019 M3 to my already scheduled service appointment on 3/30. I asked them to add it within the messaging part of the app.

My 2021 MY is CCS compatible, I have the OEM adapter and have never used it. So, I agree it isn’t an urgent thing. We do 99% of our charging at home.

I was in Houston TX last week, I may be moving in the next year or so. They do not have the volume of Superchargers we have here in Long Island NY. I expect to use 3rd party chargers in the future.

Reactions: Acps110 and ArtK
The webpage still doesn't allow Model 3/Y retrofit, but if you go into Service section in the app, there should now be an option to do the CCS retrofit. A few of us have been successful getting an appointment for it through the app.

This is 100% correct. I had my scheduled appointment amended to include the CCS Retrofit by Tesla. I couldn’t add it without losing my appointment, but was able to see it.

Reactions: Jim R
Confirmed successful charging after CCS retrofit.

1. Home charging worked right after install and software update.
2. V2 Supercharger charged at 109 kW from 28% to 49% SoC, $0.23/kW
3. ElectrifyAmerica in the same parking lot was much more expensive at $0.56/kW and peaked at 100 kW charge rate, taking SoC from 49% to 56%. There were three EA chargers in use and the fourth was offline.
4. I then drove down the street to a V3 Supercharger but it only peaked at 99 kW rate, probably because battery was at 55%. Interestingly, the V3 was cheapest at $0.17/kW.

A Mustang Mach-e owner was nice enough to let me test the CCS retrofit before he plugged in. He was surprised I could use the ElectrifyAmerica charger. He is still waiting for his NACS adapter.

I haven't decided whether I'm going to sell the Chademo adapter I just bought or keep it for peace of mind. Superchargers are aplenty and the network is still growing, but if I was at an ElectrifyAmerica (or other 3rd party charging station that supports both CCS and Chademo) and the CCS connector is broken would it take down the station or will it still allow one to use the Chademo portion? I wonder...

I am really happy to have access to all DC fast charging standards now and feel (more) at ease with any future roadtrips across the U.S.

20240321_103948.jpg

Last edited:
I also did the home L2, EA, and Supercharger trifecta and they all worked fine, so the ECU update is a success.

The 8 stall EA station actually had 7 cars charging when I got there and of course the open one didn't work. So I went to the Supercharger before going back to the EA station and the CCS adapter worked well at a different stall that had opened up. It's pretty unlikely I'll ever use the adapter, but it's good to have as a backup and also I wanted my car to be NACS/J3400 compatible, so happy to finally have the retrofit done.

I got mine done today on my 2019 TM3 LR. They charged me the additional labor. I asked them to look on the retrofit ordering page and see how it indicated that the installation was included in the retrofit price. They immediately refunded me the additional service charge.

The same thing happened when I had my tow hitch installed on my TMY, they charged me an additional service charge. After showing them the literature on the ordering page, they refunded me the extra service charge. With the hitch I also had the shop get the parts and add it to a service ticket.

I think when they order the kit locally for you, their job software automatically adds it, thinking the kits are parts, instead of parts+labor. Since this is the only way to get it on 3/Y right now (via service), I assume it is happening to everyone, unless the service center is aware of this problem and removes it.