Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is the official retrofit of model 3 CCS been announced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model S/X retrofit is a kit, everything in one box. It will probably be the same for the Model 3.
Agreed. Also, my understanding is that they don't have to change any harness for the Model 3, they just have to design a bespoke ECU for the temperature sensor configuration of the old Model 3 and include the CCS comms chip.

Agreed. Also, my understanding is that they don't have to change any harness for the Model 3, they just have to design a bespoke ECU for the temperature sensor configuration of the old Model 3 and include the CCS comms chip.
They CAN do that, we just don't know if they WILL do that. If they don't anticipate selling enough of them, they might opt to just change out charge ports.

Again.
If anyone knows the official method of retrofit, please share it, thank you

Attachments

• 2024-03-08 18_22_43 ccs.png
    2024-03-08 18_22_43 ccs.png
    731.9 KB · Views: 32
Just had it done today by Tesla mobile service on my 2018 Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor.

It's a simple ECU update.

The retrofit kit is part number 1652005-00-A - "KIT, RETROFIT, M3, PRE-BUSBAR, CCS1"
Inside is the Tesla CCS adapter and a new ECU
The ECU is part 1537264-09-B Rev 01 (Seems to be -09 of the Gen 4 part number)

It's a simple ECU swap without any inline adapter cables.
The tech swapped the ECU, went into service mode and selected CCS Upgrade, then did a software re-install, and voila, CCS is now enabled.

Just had it done today by Tesla mobile service on my 2018 Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor.

The retrofit kit is part number 1652005-00-A - "KIT, RETROFIT, M3, PRE-BUSBAR, CCS1"

The tech swapped the ECU, went into service mode and selected CCS Upgrade, then did a software re-install, and voila, CCS is now enabled.
How much was it? Did they provide an adaptor?

How much was it? Did they provide an adaptor?
It was $475 CAD + GST tax (I'm in Alberta, Canada). It should be indicated on the Tesla store page for the CCS Adapter in your region. This included the ECU, the Tesla CCS1 adapter, and installation, all in.

You don't buy the upgrade from the web store, instead go to your app and request service, CCS Retrofit option then schedule the service. The tech will install the ECU and give you the adapter (the adapter and ECU are packaged in a "kit" box that the tech brings)

I also just had it done today by a Tesla mobile service on my 05/2018 Model 3 Long Range RWD (@Xelloss99 stole my thunder!!!)

All of the same part numbers, all of the same detail.

As I also have a 2023 MYLR that appears to satisfy the compatibility check, I couldn't check out with the $350 Model 3/Y retrofit option, only the $250 Adapter-only option at https://shop.tesla.com/product/ccs-combo-1-adapter?web=true
1710287952629.png

Maybe if you don't have another vehicle compatible with the adapter only, it will let you check out with the $350 retrofit...?

However, as mentioned by @Apprunner, I was able to go into the Tesla app->Service->Request Service->Upgrades & Accessories->CCS Adapter Retrofit

Likely because I didn't buy through shop.tesla.com, my original service estimate had the $350 retrofit as expected plus $153 for labor, but when I questioned the labor since the retrofit states "IF A RETROFIT IS REQUIRED, THE SERVICE VISIT WILL INCLUDE INSTALLATION AT YOUR PREFERRED TESLA SERVICE CENTER AND ONE CCS COMBO 1 ADAPTER.", the labor was removed.

So, $350+tax, and includes a CCS 1 Combo Adapter.

Thanks for posting! I went to my local SC and tried to order 1537264-09-B as a lone part and they said it was unavailable to order. I have enough CCS adapters so was hoping to get by with the ECU only. Would be interested in seeing if others have better luck.
I would guess it will become orderable as a part after it's been out long enough that they don't need every one for upgrades. After all, sooner or later people will need it as a replacement part rather than an upgrade.

Thank you for you share.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I also just had it done today by a Tesla mobile service on my 05/2018 Model 3 Long Range RWD (@Xelloss99 stole my thunder!!!)

All of the same part numbers, all of the same detail.

As I also have a 2023 MYLR that appears to satisfy the compatibility check, I couldn't check out with the $350 Model 3/Y retrofit option, only the $250 Adapter-only option at https://shop.tesla.com/product/ccs-combo-1-adapter?web=true
View attachment 1027237

Maybe if you don't have another vehicle compatible with the adapter only, it will let you check out with the $350 retrofit...?

However, as mentioned by @Apprunner, I was able to go into the Tesla app->Service->Request Service->Upgrades & Accessories->CCS Adapter Retrofit

Likely because I didn't buy through shop.tesla.com, my original service estimate had the $350 retrofit as expected plus $153 for labor, but when I questioned the labor since the retrofit states "IF A RETROFIT IS REQUIRED, THE SERVICE VISIT WILL INCLUDE INSTALLATION AT YOUR PREFERRED TESLA SERVICE CENTER AND ONE CCS COMBO 1 ADAPTER.", the labor was removed.

So, $350+tax, and includes a CCS 1 Combo Adapter.
Thank you @Heckler and @Xelloss99 for the information!

Strangely, the product page still seems to indicate the retrofit is not available for 3/Y for me:

1710356205170.png

...but I was able to schedule service in the app. In the last couple of weeks I had tried to be "proactive" and schedule service just for them to cancel, so hopefully now this appointment will stick. The entire Upgrades>CCS Adapter Retrofit category was entirely new and the category name had (1) at the end, indicating there was a new item, so it does seem like they are now ready to carry out the service requests.

I'm amazed you were able to get this done yesterday - I was not able to schedule service until March 26th (I think the Austin SCs were already overloaded without retrofit work being added). Thank you for posting!

I wonder what the "pre-busbar" term in the kit name means - I suppose that defines the population of 3/Y that don't have the CCS ECU.

Just FYI: I had the CCS retrofit on my 2018 LR RWD done last Saturday (3/16) by Santa Clara, CA mobile service. All went well :)

ref: CCS Retrofit Availability (2023)

I scheduled mine, including some other items that I wanted done at the same time like brake cleaning, and my local service center in Temecula wouldnt quote me the retrofit. The line item on the estimate was "0 - customer education". I messaged them and asked why, and even provided the part number of the kit listed in this thread, and they doubled down and said "its not available for your car".

I then told them "ok well I will cancel the service appointment and try again", then canceled the service appointment, went back in the app and re scheduled JUST the ccs retrofit without anything else. This second time it scheduled me for mobile service, but the estimate again had that "0 - customer education" line on there.

I then messaged them again in the app saying "im not sure why this isnt being quoted to me, it should be part number 1652005-00-A, for my car". They then replied "we added that part to your invoice" and it was now on there quoted at the correct price of $350.

My mobile appointment is now next monday, and hopefully they will do it since others are getting it done.

Sigh, lol... dealing with tesla takes patience sometimes.