Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cell Energy Densiity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm always interested in technology or chemistry that would allow a higher energy density. I came across this in one of my mailings. Now we know that Tesla is starting to experiment with silicon anodes and EM has admitted it's a tough nut to crack. So, check out this article which if it comes to fruition, really is a game changer.

Now, I suspect EM knows all about this as well as his Dahl team of battery experts. And I have a feeling that the 90KWH version of the battery pack might harbor some of this chemistry. Time will tell of course but my sense is we're getting awfully close to some sort of breakthrough.

If you're 'in the business' (and you know what I mean) you can read this article with a little more aplomb than I so please give it up and make some predictions!

"A feeling" that the 90 kWh battery has some silicon content in the anode is not needed because the content is a stated fact. The 90 was described at the time as "the first effort in production". From comments made by numerous Tesla people it seems to be fact that improving anode effectiveness is expected to be the largest single contributer to increased battery density in the next 2-3 years. Beyond that there are many other possibilities. However, this itself might make the 1000 mile S a reality.

Fascinating, but still mostly vaporware. This time I buy into the vapor!

Last edited by a moderator: