Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center Console Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my new Tesla Model S90D on Wednesday 6/15 and at noon Thursday 6/16 the big screen was dark when I got in the car. It would occasionally flash but that's it. I followed the reset procedures for the center screen and it did restart. I am surprised that the center screen failed so quickly and hope it was a quirk and nothing more.
When I called Tesla service to discuss they asked me if I had a lot of contacts on my bluetooth linked phone and mentioned the limited memory of the system. I do have a lot of contacts. Wondering if anyone has observations / advice?

Finally, a few minutes before this, when I was turning into a Panera Bread, the car suddenly surged forward and I had to quickly apply the breaks to stop. This was a lot scarier than a screen failure, is this a common occurrence?

I had not yet learned to activate auto pilot when this occurred so no, AP was not on. I have a theory on what might have happened though and intent to revisit the spot today to see if it happens again. The road goes downhill to the turn for Panera and I was probably using regen to slow down and not the brakes. Creep is on so maybe after slowing down it then went into creep more strongly than I expected it to.

I had not yet learned to activate auto pilot when this occurred so no, AP was not on. I have a theory on what might have happened though and intent to revisit the spot today to see if it happens again. The road goes downhill to the turn for Panera and I was probably using regen to slow down and not the brakes. Creep is on so maybe after slowing down it then went into creep more strongly than I expected it to.
Regen is only active until (and don't quote me on this, I don't remember the exact numbers) about 3-5mph, below that there is no [noticeable?] regen. So your theory may be correct.

Originally when you said surge, I assumed like someone flooring it. If it was a slight deviation in speed, then I would think it's a combination of the hill, regen and maybe creep.

If you can, change the subject of this thread from "Center Console Failure" to something else like "MCU Issue" or "17" Screen Flashing". The center console to most people here is the space between driver and passenger where you store stuff and the arm rests are. Might help to get better feedback.