Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center Console Upgrade - USB Ports sleeping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

camyarn

Supporting Member
Dec 4, 2023
Hobart
Hi guys,

After reading through all the threads about how simple the conversion was, I've gone ahead and got a 2.0 Centre console from Tesla, even had a tech help me fit it (though it was his first time doing one of these)

I've got the data module from Abstract Ocean (and got a second one to troubleshoot the issue - same results on both)

Unfortunately the ports seem to sleep when the car sleeps, which kills the data module and it only comes back online by soft rebooting or completely disconnecting the cables and replugging

Leaving Sentry on permanently resolves the issue but it's not a workable long-term solution to run it like this, but it at least isolates the issue to the car sleeping.

I've tried running a new data lead directly from the port under the glovebox to isolate any issues there, but the result is the same.

I'm completely perplexed as how to resolve this, and reading through hundreds of forum posts, I seem to be the only one with this issue, everyone else has been plug-and-play, leading me to wonder wether i've plugged in the wrong power somewhere, though it's not clear from any of the install videos of watched that I've done anything incorrectly.

Car firmware is up-to-date, have attempted reinstall via service mode. It's a 2019 Fremont build.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

ok, so my setup is slightly different 2018 Fremont M3 replaced the usb module in the center console with this https://www.amazon.com/TPARTS-Center-Transmission-Recovery-Charging/dp/B09YQ391FD .

I have the same issues that you are having, and the same fixes, steering wheel reboot, and unplugging harness. Have you tried the power cycle from the safety menu? That doesnt work for me and I would have though that would work.

When you installed your new equipment did you disconnect the power and the 12 v line? I did not and just powered down and worked around the car being off.

Upvote 0
ok, so my setup is slightly different 2018 Fremont M3 replaced the usb module in the center console with this Amazon.com .

I have the same issues that you are having, and the same fixes, steering wheel reboot, and unplugging harness. Have you tried the power cycle from the safety menu? That doesnt work for me and I would have though that would work.

When you installed your new equipment did you disconnect the power and the 12 v line? I did not and just powered down and worked around the car being off.
So wait did you upgrade your centre console or just swapping from USBA to USBC?

Mine’s a 2019 Fremont, I think the wiring harness is different if you’re swapping the console in 2018’s?

It’s a PITA to get an OEM Tesla module here because they’re only allowed do it for vehicles that already had it, but none of the 3’s ever had it and it was replaced with the glovebox unit by the time the Y’s shipped.

Thinking I might have to order a used one from the USA to test, but they’re incredibly expensive.

Have you talked to any Tesla techs about it? Did they rule out anything?

Upvote 0
So wait did you upgrade your centre console or just swapping from USBA to USBC?

Mine’s a 2019 Fremont, I think the wiring harness is different if you’re swapping the console in 2018’s?

It’s a PITA to get an OEM Tesla module here because they’re only allowed do it for vehicles that already had it, but none of the 3’s ever had it and it was replaced with the glovebox unit by the time the Y’s shipped.

Thinking I might have to order a used one from the USA to test, but they’re incredibly expensive.

Have you talked to any Tesla techs about it? Did they rule out anything?

I wired my own harness to change yo usbc. The wiring diagram is the same just the connector changed. and no I have not reached out to anyone on Tesla yet. I might do that soon cause my return window is closing

Upvote 0
Just to post an update, after the two failed third party USB hubs getting the USBC hub from Tesla and installing. It has fixed my problem. So it appears to be a third party issue when installing a dual USBC hub in a 2018 model. 3.
Amazing! Did you just get a used one off eBay? Mine doesn’t arrive until early March.

So everything works perfect now? No glitches? Stays working through sleep?

Upvote 0
I got it through Tesla and waited a few weeks to get it. I'm on day 3 and it's working perfectly data and increased power supply from the 2 USB a ports that I had before
How’d you score it through Tesla? I was told we weren’t allowed to buy them?

The secondhand one I ordered actually turned up this afternoon, but unfortunately it doesn’t look like it’s fixed my issue :(

Upvote 0
How’d you score it through Tesla? I was told we weren’t allowed to buy them?

The secondhand one I ordered actually turned up this afternoon, but unfortunately it doesn’t look like it’s fixed my issue :(
On the Tesla app it says that it is able to be purchased. I herd that you gotta hound them that the part ab the app says it is allowed to be ordered. What is the model number of the part you got?

Upvote 0
For parts, you do request service, then "something else" then give the parts numbers your want. I had no problem at mine in ordering the parts. Just getting the right ones delivered. I am using the same part number.
So you’re going Service Request > Other > Something else > then just adding the part number to the description field with no other text?

Upvote 0
I had to try multiple times from my normal location after they'd approve it in the app and then deny me in person. Then I went to another location not far away and they just sold it to me with some confusion why the couldn't but some higher up person stepped in to be done with it.

They don't want to sell it to you for sure

Upvote 0