Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center Console Wood Wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps I’m the minority but I’m not a fan of the carbon fiber look. Maybe it’s from being over 50 yrs old. Idk. Anyway, I found this wood wrap on RPM Tesla and fell in love with it immediately. Now listen, I was thrown off because it was only after I received the package, did I realize that this was not actually a wrap but just a top surface adhesive. Meaning, it does not wrap around the edges as some do. I was going to pay someone $70 to install it because I thought I might screw it up. After watching the video though that RPM put out on installation, I laughed and called the shop and told them I would do it myself. (Fine though since they were already working on my PPF). Anyway, I got the car home and in about 15 minutes, I was completely done.

So yes, as you will see, there is some shiny black edges, particularly at the cup holder but I think it makes it look even more elegant! Bare in mind that it is not an EXACT match to the wood in the car. It is a shade darker but not that noticeable to me. Having had wood grains in previous cars, I love the look. I don’t know how people wrap the real wood on the dash. Such a shame. But hey, just my .02

DFE41-E6-B-6-F0-A-40-F7-928-E-5-ABD2-C918-C9-F.jpg

FA741-C42-9-D8-D-4193-8291-C8-EE8-AD74795.jpg

7-E0-AF22-E-D5-A5-4-A8-E-9-C66-FD0-FBF5-F6564.jpg

B2880-F5-D-9-FFD-4-A4-B-B2-C2-8-EAAD9131541.jpg

I'm living the "glossy" life for now but am definitely intrigued by that option from RPM. I've wrapped phones with the wood look before and like it. I'm also thinking of more of a matte black look to blend in with the seats. I'll probably hold out til spring time and maybe see some in person first

I dont mind wood trim in some cars, but dont like it in others. The tesla Model 3 looks so "minimalist" to me, wood looks out of place (to answer the question as to why I had the wood trim wrapped).

Carbon fiber trim doesnt fit in every vehicle either, for me anyway. its a "sportier" look. With that being said, your application looks good, and the fit looks really good. It just would not be for me in this car, but would look more at home in a BMW 5 or 7 series or a Mercedes S class.

Last edited:
Reactions: TBrownTX
Perhaps I’m the minority but I’m not a fan of the carbon fiber look. Maybe it’s from being over 50 yrs old. Idk. Anyway, I found this wood wrap on RPM Tesla and fell in love with it immediately. Now listen, I was thrown off because it was only after I received the package, did I realize that this was not actually a wrap but just a top surface adhesive. Meaning, it does not wrap around the edges as some do. I was going to pay someone $70 to install it because I thought I might screw it up. After watching the video though that RPM put out on installation, I laughed and called the shop and told them I would do it myself. (Fine though since they were already working on my PPF). Anyway, I got the car home and in about 15 minutes, I was completely done.

So yes, as you will see, there is some shiny black edges, particularly at the cup holder but I think it makes it look even more elegant! Bare in mind that it is not an EXACT match to the wood in the car. It is a shade darker but not that noticeable to me. Having had wood grains in previous cars, I love the look. I don’t know how people wrap the real wood on the dash. Such a shame. But hey, just my .02

Looks unique, like it!

Wow - thanks - that trim looks great, IMO. Just ordered a set!

Just ordered mine online... hope it looks as good installed as yours does.

Worth pointing out a stupid mistakeI made when I did mine. That 3 bar dark wood decal on the top door.....It had a clear square film over it when I stuck it on the door. I thought that the clear part was supposed to stay in place because it was transparent. It bugged me though because it was noticeable. One day, I decided to just remove the entire square film. I assumed the three bar would come with it but I was surprised to see that when I lifted off the transparent backing, the three bars stayed in place. It was intended to come off the whole time but there are no instructions saying so. I just didn’t realize it until I pulled it off. I like it even better now!

More details when I get more time this weekend.

View attachment 369781

I do a lot of woodworking, just north of you in Dallas, TX. If real wood veneer can be used to wrap the car's parts then there are a ton of very beautiful options available. I'm curious to see how you attach the veneer to the car parts (what adhesive, do you soak or steam the wood to make it more flexible, etc). I would have considered the veneer too thick for this purpose (but I could be wrong). Also, how will you finish the veneer (which sealer). Installing a wrap (thin sheet of flexible vinyl/plastic) does not have these challenges.

Good luck - please post your findings and methods as well as final pictures. I really appreciate any insights that you can share.

Here's a chair project that I completed a couple of years ago.
Morris Chairs - Finally Complete

Reactions: KenC
I do a lot of woodworking, just north of you in Dallas, TX. If real wood veneer can be used to wrap the car's parts then there are a ton of very beautiful options available. I'm curious to see how you attach the veneer to the car parts (what adhesive, do you soak or steam the wood to make it more flexible, etc). I would have considered the veneer too thick for this purpose (but I could be wrong). Also, how will you finish the veneer (which sealer). Installing a wrap (thin sheet of flexible vinyl/plastic) does not have these challenges.

Good luck - please post your findings and methods as well as final pictures. I really appreciate any insights that you can share.

Here's a chair project that I completed a couple of years ago.
Morris Chairs - Finally Complete

Hi @SeventyFix,

Beautiful chairs you built. I love the mission style and your workmanship is amazing!
I am just a novice woodworker so do chime in with suggestions and advice.

So far, I just raised the grain with water. Sanded it off. And dyed with TransTint dark walnut.
I am letting it dry before layering with Shellac later today.
Too early this morning to pull out the vacuum pump so I am using the old textbook technique to prevent warping.

20190119_062619.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Work on the interior was completed over the weekend: Door panels and the center console sides and armrest in beige to match the Katzkin seats were installed by the same guy who installed the Katzkin seats: Doug Pasini of Automotive Concepts.

Looking at my own photos I'm now thinking that those narrow chrome strips on the side of the console need to be blacked out -- they're the only chrome pieces in the interior (aside from the chrome T on the steering wheel) and IMHO they look totally out of place. If they're blacked out they'll make a much better contrast to the wood on the console and dash and the beige side panels on the console.

Doug's also at work installing BearBu's HDMI interface and 360 degree overhead view for the touchscreen on my Model S. If you live in the Baltimore area he's the go-to guy for mod installations. He's a perfectionist and does top-notch work.

I used to do these kinds of mods as DIY projects, but my time lately has been severely limited, so I've turned to Doug and Automotive Concepts to get my pet projects done.

Next? A front lighted T for the Model 3 -- I had a spare one lying around on a spare nosecone I had for my Model S before I converted the front end to the facelift version. Lo and behold the curvature of Model S front lighted T fits the contour of both the Model 3 hood and the upper front of the bumper.

IMG_0798.jpeg

Reactions: E Dizzle and chojn1
just installed RPMTesla's center console "wood" addition... easy to install and perfect match.

I installed the same set a couple of days after receiving my car. Looks OEM, and makes me (and every passenger I've mentioned it to) wonder why they don't offer actual wood for this area from the factory. I'd have purchased it.

Nice. CJ, does the card reader work through that rear piece? It looks great but it’s quite thick. Also appears to have a modified black piece over the cup holders.

@03DSG,

That layer is actually pretty thin, so no problem with the key card reader. I thought about completely redoing that rear piece and repositioning the key card reader into a vertical format so you could slide the card into a slot instead of the current flat layout. Maybe a project for another day.

The black piece is a redesigned cupholder insert. Works to hold drinks in place and dress the trim edge.

CJ

Reactions: 03DSG