Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Central Texas Roadster meetup and Drive - Sept/Oct 2019?

Where would you want to go, if available for a central Texas meetup?

• Stay close to Austin

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Marble Falls and back to Austin area

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fredericksburg and back to Austin area

• Other

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

im4uttx

Supporting Member
May 28, 2019
Spicewood, TX
OK, with the success of the SF Bay Drive and meetup, I'm just not going to stop thinking about this until we can make something happen. I'm thinking about in the fall when temps cool a bit and make a road trip more enjoyable.

Who all will consider it?

Charging points in the Austin area include some Rudy's (620 and Round Rock, each have 2 destination chargers), Moviehouse and Eatery (Southwest Parkway, has 4 destination chargers) and Wild Kitchen and Bar (Hwy 71 west, has 2 destination chargers), in addition to other various hotels and such...

I don't think we can get 10+ like the SF Bay one, but would be good to be able to get a handful or so...

Current plan is leave from Moviehouse and Eatery parking garage (4 destination chargers to start everyone off right) west to near Briarcliff, back roads to 620 to 2222 to 360 and back to MH. About 60 miles round trip.

Last edited:
I would absolutely love to do this. Count me in!

As for planning a drive, it worked great in San Francisco planning a drive that was about 80 miles in total, so it left everyone with enough range to get home and charge. However, having a lunch near Destination Chargers would be awesome too.

Reactions: AtAge19 and Sig72
I got a pretty good "tan" on the way home from Dallas with the top off. Not quite burned, but about as close to it as possible without peeling.

I joined FB (never saw the point to share personal info...the things I do now for my roadster, lol) to join the central texas group of tesla owners, but somehow FB decided I was "bad" and have me under review. Hopefully they clear me soon. Found @csummers on there and messaged him, I think. Posted a message for any other roadster owners, but got called out for not asking about Tesla owners, but just a light tap on my hand, lol...1 owner has their roadster for sale, as of a month ago, not sure if it has been sold yet or not (listed here in the for sale forum).

For those coming from out of town, will be hard to come to Austin, drive, and get back home in a day, I would think, so assume you'd stay at least 1 night in Austin area, but obviously, it would depend on getting a charge to head back. Plan is to start from Moviehouse and Eatery, which has 4 destination chargers under covered parking. Coming from Dallas would make for an afternoon drive (likely) if not staying the night before...Houston might be easier for drive in, but to have a charge for a 60 mi drive might still mean afternoon drive. Let me know your thoughts on your plans...even by message if you desire.

I've got a plan for a route around some Austin hill country One similar to the one posted for the SF Bay drive... See if this works:
Google Maps

Currently ~60 miles. I think this will take us by some scenic areas that I'll check for pic opportunities. It has chargers at Rudy's and the Moviehouse, so opportunities to get some power before, during and/or after, as needed.

There was a 2008 Roadster in Houston North SC a week ago when I was there. I'll find out who owns it and see if they are interested.

As far as Range, Mine is about 160 as well. I'll be coming from Houston.

I'll need a full charge on Friday night in Bastrop or somewhere close to "RANGE" up.

The "planned" start/end point is the Moviehouse and Eatery on SW Parkway, that has 4 destination chargers, so we should be able to take care of any charging.

According to a document posted in the google groups, there are ~64 registered roadsters in Texas. ~13 in Austin (Travis county), about 10-11 each in Dallas/Houston counties. Getting in touch with them is the hard part.

We need to get an roadster email group started for Texas...64 is plenty to outdo the California folks... :)

Any idea on a date for this meetup and drive? I’m interested in joining the fun, but I need some lead time to block out my schedule and plan it out since I’ll be coming from the DFW area.
Oct 5th is the current plan, with weather as the only limiting factor. I'll add you to the conversation. @DeedWest will enjoy sharing the road with you on the way down from Dallas.

Very generous of you, I'll be in touch if this moves forward. You may have more takers than you can handle!
@cgloewen ...still need your contact info...see conversation.

Anyone else who has not provided contact info, check conversations or send me info in a conversation...less than 3 weeks away, currently have most info for most everyone here, still trying to get info from some of the folks contacts on google group for central Texas.

Won't be a problem...worst case, I also have a CAN-JR adapter, so between all those that probably have one or both adapter, we should be able to keep everyone charged.

Ive got the Tesla branded "J1772" cable ill bring, but normally in the wild, I can only find 30 amp chargers...
70 / 80 amp gets me 2x-3x faster so less time.

I should be good as I'll stay in Austin on Friday night and get a full range charge.