Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic Coating After Care

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

So I have had my new M3 LR ceramic coated and windows tinted. I had the Kubebond Diamond 9H and Nano X ceramic treatment. I have tried to search the forum and found a few posts re aftercare but all seem to be pretty generic. I have a Karcher K4 pressure washer and would like to purchase a complete maintenance set up and wondered what you guys and girls use that is appropriate to a ceramic coated car. More granular detail would be appreciated based on your experience eg. Make and product instead of ph neutral shampoo for example.

There are so many products out there it’s a minefield but am guessing you could part with a ton of cash for not much return in respect of a shiny pride and joy on the drive through trial and error. I have emailed a couple of online stores re this for opinions but as of yet had no replies.

Things I think I will need as follows but please feel free to add (I am a novice so forgive me if I miss the obvious!)….

• Snow canon/lance
  • Snow foam suitable for ceramic
  • Wash suitable for ceramic
  • Buckets with grit guards
  • Microfibre, drying and buffing
  • Wash mitt
  • Ceramic aftercare products outside of that where I’ll go back to the detailer every 12 months or so?
Many thanks in advance and hopefully thread will be a good resource for searchers going forwards.

As per others, the ceramic shouldn't need any care, that's why you had it in the first place.

I used to do a pre wash with snow foam, but generally don't bother anymore, it really doesn't seem to achieve very much, I just give it a decent rinse first. I spray on my shampoo (Dodo Juice Born to be mild diluted into the bottle) then clean with a McGuire wash mit, bucket and grit guard of plain water. Rinse it clean with the hose.

Dry with a McGuires waffle weave drying cloth, then use some Ultimate Detailer.

Nothing else really required, but as it's black tar doesn't show anyway. Occasionally I'll use some Bilt claybar to remove residue.

Reactions: Swall101
Upvote 0
Foam cannons range from $10 to $90. I got a $15 DUSICHIN SFL-001 Foam Cannon off Amazon and it works fine. If you want the Cadillac of foam cannons, get the MTM Hydro for $90.

Chemical Guys Honeydew Snow Foam works great and can be found at Walmart and many local auto parts chains. Adams Mega Foam is a little better, but double the price.

I'll defer to anyone who has experience with "ceramic enhancing/sustaining" washes. I just use Meguiar's Hyper-wash. It's highly concentrated, so you add 1 oz to 5 gals of water. A 1 gal bottle is $30 and should last years.

You don't need special car wash buckets. Just buy the $5 buckets at HomeDepot or Lowes and add a $10 grit guard from Amazon.

I'm considering mitts and towels from The Rag Company for a future purchase, but for now I just use a generic microfiber wash mitt and Zwipes Microfiber Waffle Drying Towels I got on Amazon (2 pack $10).

Looks like the manufacturer of your ceramic coating products already has an after care spray (Diamond Plus). I'd probably stick with that for optimal compatibility.

(Edit: sorry, initially missed the fact you are in the UK. Perhaps substitute B&Q for HomeDepot and Rolls Royce for Cadillac :) )

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Foam cannons range from $10 to $90. I got a $15 DUSICHIN SFL-001 Foam Cannon off Amazon and it works fine. If you want the Cadillac of foam cannons, get the MTM Hydro for $90.

Chemical Guys Honeydew Snow Foam works great and can be found at Walmart and many local auto parts chains. Adams Mega Foam is a little better, but double the price.

I'll defer to anyone who has experience with "ceramic enhancing/sustaining" washes. I just use Meguiar's Hyper-wash. It's highly concentrated, so you add 1 oz to 5 gals of water. A 1 gal bottle is $30 and should last years.

You don't need special car wash buckets. Just buy the $5 buckets at HomeDepot or Lowes and add a $10 grit guard from Amazon.

I'm considering mitts and towels from The Rag Company for a future purchase, but for now I just use a generic microfiber wash mitt and Zwipes Microfiber Waffle Drying Towels I got on Amazon (2 pack $10).

Looks like the manufacturer of your ceramic coating products already has an after care spray (Diamond Plus). I'd probably stick with that for optimal compatibility.

(Edit: sorry, initially missed the fact you are in the UK. Perhaps substitute B&Q for HomeDepot and Rolls Royce for Cadillac :) )
Thanks for the info…. I’m based in the UK so will check out if available here 👍

Upvote 0
I don’t think I’ve seen any coating manufacturer say you can wash with whatever you want? I thought that certain products were harmful or is this just marketing hype?
The world of detailing products is totally corrupted by vendors trying to flog their magic formulas. Your car sits outside in acid rain and goodness only knows what splashed from puddles, it's pretty inert. Avoid anything extremely acidic or alkaline, but no particular surface soap is going to even be there long enough to have any effect.

Upvote 0
Ceramic coated cars will still scratch. So make sure you wash properly as you have mentioned. There are some products that will damage ceramic, but the vast majority will not. Avoid the super acidic or alkaline as mentioned in the post above.
Thanks, that’s why I didn’t get the let it rain wipe down comment above but guessing someone was trying to be funny!

Do you recommend any products for washing? I’ll check the site out you mentioned too… thanks very much.

Upvote 0
Thanks, that’s why I didn’t get the let it rain wipe down comment above but guessing someone was trying to be funny!

Do you recommend any products for washing? I’ll check the site out you mentioned too… thanks very much.
Last car I had ceramic coated I used CarPro Reset. Was a nice shampoo and still got lots left. If you want I'll send you some. DM me an address and I'll stick some in a bottle for you to try.

Upvote 0
I had my car ceramic coated by a firm near Manchester called JR Automotive who did a great job. They subsequently sent me a paintwork maintenance guide which is attached. May be of interest as it recommends a few products.
I used to use 2 buckets, but its far less hassle to just put the shampoo on with a foam gun then have a single bucket of water to clean the wash mit in. I can't see how it's any less safe for scratches.

Also with regards to pre-wash, it's never made any damn difference for me, tried several different brands. Frankly it doesn't make sense, if a high pressure wash isn't shifting dirt, how's a very foamy wash just left there a few minutes going to do anything. I've decided it's just 'detailing theatre' as it looks cool.

Upvote 0
I snow foam, wash off, weak snow foam again and then wash with a sponge (the weak snow foam means you don’t need any more suds). Rinse.

What makes the biggest difference is what you do next especially if you live in a hard water area. I dry with a micro fibre towel and now it’s getting colder a great tip is to wipe the car with autoglym extra gloss protection while it’s still damp. (Ie just wipe the worst of any standing water off first ). That quickly dries to a haze and buffs off easily leaving a bit of extra shine (as the name suggests) and a water spot free car. Do it to glass, headlights, everywhere except the windscreen.

Upvote 0