Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic Coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So

How much should ceramic coating cost for the M3?

I know based on your specific area so Im in Ft. Lauderdale

I'm in NY and the lowest price for the lifetime package was $1,800.

And with the ceramic that just keeps the car basically perm waxed so you dont need to detail it anymore????

Yes. It makes it much easier to clean. I bought a cheap power washer and foam cannon. I intend to rinse with the power washer, attach the foam cannon and cover the car with soap. Let it sit for 5 minutes covered in foam, then rinse again. I'll use a leaf blower to dry the vehicle. No touch wash.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jtt777 and alloverx
There are different types of ceramic coatings. Each manufacture has different "levels" of coatings. Meaning they last longer and require less upkeep. Some coating require yearly maintenance while others don't. But almost all work great as long as they are applied correctly which make it easier for routine maintenance on the car. It was pretty pricey but I don't regret doing it at all.

• Informative
Reactions: voip-ninja
So

And with the ceramic that just keeps the car basically perm waxed so you dont need to detail it anymore????

Thanks

DIY = 1/10th the cost of a vendor to do it.

Self applying ceramic coating is no different than putting on an expensive lotion. Its extremely easy and I can't imagine how anyone could mess it up with the products that are out there.

Gyeon's system is just awesome.

DIY = 1/10th the cost of a vendor to do it.

Self applying ceramic coating is no different than putting on an expensive lotion. Its extremely easy and I can't imagine how anyone could mess it up with the products that are out there.

Gyeon's system is just awesome.
OK, got to disagree with this. The major cost is not in applying the coating. It is in preparing and correcting the underlying paint. ALL cars come from the factory with swirls, defects, stains, etc. in the paint. When you put on 10 year ceramic coating, you are basically enshrining all of those defects for 10 years. So, to do it right and have a perfect underlying paint job to coat, you've got to have a clean environment with lighting that allows you to see 100% of the car clearly, all of the right tools and supplies (including maybe 30 high quality microfiber cloths) be prepared to clean with IPA, clay bar, 2 stage paint correction, and whatever else it takes. THEN coat. I forget the thread, but one "DIY'er" reported he got it done in about 12 hours of labor, but had all kinds of pain and cramps from all of the uncomfortable postures to get at every part of the car and do it right. He came away understanding why it is worth paying a pro. This is not something you do in your driveway or most garages.

As I said above, I've never had to pay more than $1200 -- some of the prices above are ridiculous. But by all means use a pro if you want pro results. I think my car is worth that, personally.

OK, got to disagree with this. The major cost is not in applying the coating. It is in preparing and correcting the underlying paint. ALL cars come from the factory with swirls, defects, stains, etc. in the paint. When you put on 10 year ceramic coating, you are basically enshrining all of those defects for 10 years. So, to do it right and have a perfect underlying paint job to coat, you've got to have a clean environment with lighting that allows you to see 100% of the car clearly, all of the right tools and supplies (including maybe 30 high quality microfiber cloths) be prepared to clean with IPA, clay bar, 2 stage paint correction, and whatever else it takes. THEN coat. I forget the thread, but one "DIY'er" reported he got it done in about 12 hours of labor, but had all kinds of pain and cramps from all of the uncomfortable postures to get at every part of the car and do it right. He came away understanding why it is worth paying a pro. This is not something you do in your driveway or most garages.

As I said above, I've never had to pay more than $1200 -- some of the prices above are ridiculous. But by all means use a pro if you want pro results. I think my car is worth that, personally.

You don't have to do all of that to ceramic coat. Just like you don't have to 2 bucket wash your car….but you can.

You can do all of that if you want, but you don't have to.

Just wait a couple years.....until the "new car smell" of ceramic coating wears off.

I'm getting IGL ceramic done on mine for $1,100 (there's a discount in there for also getting PPF and tint done at the same time, original quote was $1,295). That's for the 5 year guarantee, includes the entire outside, inside, wheels, and front windshield. I'm in NE Ohio, West of Cleveland.

So

Thanks

Ok... just to stay on your first question, the cost varies not even different States, but even different towns within same State. But, the ballpark figures I got in around Northern Virginia ranges around $900 - $1800, with different types of ceramic products & cleaning processes.

On your question 2., yes, the ceramic coating is just like wax (look at it as wax on very heavy steroids) coating. It will act as a very very thin barrier between your M3 paint & outside air, rains, bugs, bird droppings... etc. Also, unlike wax, you don't have to regularly wax your vehicle, as ceramic coat can last between 1 - 10 years, depending upon it's brand (professional detailers have access to some ceramic products that aren't available to public.

Now, it comes to you to decide how much extra money you have lying around so you can spend. I had started a thread that discusses about professional install or self... all the best.

Cost here in the Bay Area was about 1600. While this is something the average DIY can do yourself, the products will not be the same. It is more time intensive than materials expensive

DIY versions of ceramic wont last as long as the pro versions, something like 3 years vs 5 or 10 years. Many folks with the detailing skills should get great results with a DIY coating, just will need to recoat more often.

DIY is a great value for those with time. The first day results will be similar with both DIY and pro coatings.

In next 10 years, your car will be 10 YEARS OLD!! :D
So, unless you are planning not to sell it ever & hand it down as a 'family heirloom', it doesn't matter if you are going to ceramic coat it (self or professionally) or not. Even if you keep it in pristine condition & keep cleaning it more than driving it, you are only going to get the same resale price as other Model-3 cars that are in a good condition.

End of the day, it's just a car that depreciates like any other vehicle.... just enjoy driving it.

So, unless you are planning not to sell it ever & hand it down as a 'family heirloom', it doesn't matter if you are going to ceramic coat it (self or professionally) or not. Even if you keep it in pristine condition & keep cleaning it more than driving it, you are only going to get the same resale price as other Model-3 cars that are in a good condition.

End of the day, it's just a car that depreciates like any other vehicle.... just enjoy driving it.

I do not dispute what you have said. My feeling is that I want to enjoy the vehicle looking brand new for as long as I can, and with the minimal amount of continuous work on my part. ;) I do this with my motorcycles as well.

Not everything is about money and resale. I have a 6 year old Model S with wrap and coating that looks like new every day. I never climb in it thinking “pretty ratty, time for a new car”. I still get joy every time. If cars are purely functional for you, or only about TCO, then skip it of course. If you love cars... get it coated.

Reactions: Deal
Exactly, I didn't do it for resale value, I did it because I don't have a lot of time, i hate washing my car and I enjoy my car looking nice. Micro scratches and water spots don't have the same look to me (we have crazy hard water).

Sure there are othjer solutions to keeping the car looking nice. Regular wash and wax will get that same effect with more work more often.

I hear ya I gotta buy all the tools and stuff and the materials prob cost about 500 bucks before its all said and done and probably 5 hours?

If the paint is in good shape when you start (free of swirls and scratch marks) you really shouldn't need to spend $500 on the materials you need to do it right as long as you're comfortable with the process.

I was surprised that the paint on my car was in as good of a condition as it was when I took delivery. Looks like they polished it pretty well. Now that was a month ago so I don't know what it's going to look like if I go to coat it... I expect I might have to clay it a bit and if I'm lucky I really won't need to polish it at all.

Speaking of which, after chickening out on spending $1350 for pro ceramic coating and being squeamish about using a consumer grade product, I called the experts at Esoteric Car Care and shortly after that I ordered the Kamikaze Miyabi kit which includes pretty much everything you need to do one car and is about $200 with shipping.

That product is, per them, the easiest product, by far, that they have for application and is extremely forgiving. It also gives an extremely deep "candy" coat finish that looks better on darker colors and will hopefully look great on my deep blue metallic Model 3.

For someone who wants something even easier there are some products that go on almost exactly like a regular synthetic sealer and cost under $50 and are good for about six months. Supposedly the Miyabi coating is good for about 18-24 months with one coat and longer than that with two coats.

Keep in mind that when it eventually wears out (which should take a while if you take care of it) you will have to have it sanded off with a mechanical hand buffer. Not that big of a deal really, professional detailers do it all the time but it is a small extra cost if you do a new product at that time.

Reactions: 10splayer