Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chademo Adapter For Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI: It was a BC HYDRO charger. Needed a Greenlots card to activate.
That should not make. a difference, but... since there is far greater need for CHAdeMO in Canada than in the US I wonder if it has been enabled for Canadian cars but not USA ones. frankly that seems a trifle odd as an explanation. BTW, I did call a Tesla SC technician I know who did a software update for my CHAdeMO adapter a long while ago. FWIW, he has not heard about Model 3 enablement but did say nearly all the long-time S owners who had CHAdeMO adapters and had Model 3 on order and been asking the same question. I have no idea how many of us there have been. He has requested clarification through Tesla service channels.

A quick update: My Tesla SC contact just rang me and said no Model 3 has CHAdeMO enablement right now. She further said that her sources said it will happen, although no specific dates are known. She said any reports of actual use by owners are erroneous, whereupon I mentioned that the sole report we have is in Canada, whereupon she mentioned that several of her questions are coming from Canadian "sunbirds" who spend part of the year in our Florida location. There are a fairly large number of S and X Canadian cars in our area. In the past I often have encountered them while we were waiting for a local CHAdeMO.

A possiblity is that a number of the BC Fast Charge stations, including YVR, for example,have CHAdeMO, CCS and J1772 in the same location. Across Canada that is not uncommon, although the installations often are contiguous, but distinct. I mention YVR because I have used those myself.

Someone posted this as well from Tesla:

Model S/X CHAdeMO Adapter & Model 3 -- does it work?

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out. Although CHAdeMO charging isn't currently supported on Model 3, we do plan to enable that functionality in the future. Unfortunately, I don't have any dates for this roll out.

I hope you are otherwise enjoying your new Model 3. Thanks for being part of Teslas movement to sustainable transportation!

-Tesla Support

As I said in the other Chademo post, people are being redirected from around the company to work on the Model 3 assembly line to crank up the volume. They even diverted senior AI researchers to work on the line. I doubt we will see Model 3 Chademo support anytime soon.

I am aware of a demo car that has an unreleased software version that has Chademo support. It is for testing ONLY, so while it’s being worked on, there is no known timeline for its official release.
Yes, I believe that. I cannot directly confirm it, but I would be surprised were it not the case. Most importantly, almost nobody seems to realize that Tesla is a member of the CHAdeMO Association and that CHAdeMO adapters are standard equipment on Model S and X delivered to Japan.
Members – Chademo Association
Since Model 3 deliveries have just begun to accelerate it is inevitable that Model 3 will support it, and also IMHO, that it will be a software update just as it was originally for Model S.
Further, the delay just might be related to this:
CHAdeMO high-power vehicle/charger test event in Europe finishes with success
Tesla is quite likely to want the initial CHAdeMO adapter for Model 3 to be suitable for higher power stations than those which existed back when the Model S adapter was first issued. Maybe the adapter itself can be software upgradable, but it might require a new adapter. Either way I wager the delay is related to upgrade of CHAdeMO charging speeds that Tesla wants to permit, especially for Japan, Germany, Norway and other Europe where higher speed CHAdeMO stations and vehicles that need them are soon to be widely deployed. Both Canada and the US will be seeing that too. Thus Model 3 CHAdeMO delays for the upgraded capacity which will later be retrofitted for Models S and X.

Of course I am inferring this from, above all, Japan, but also including Germany (>600 CHAdeMO stations) and Norway (>800 CHAdeMO stations) both being a multiple of Supercharger locations. Adding several other countries in which CHAdeMO is well established makes Tesla necessarily attentive to the topic.

So, soon, whatever that is.

Probably of equal interest is when CCS Fast adapters (not historically permitted by CharIN) will come. Tesla is also a member of CharIN, so supporting that standard for EU and NA will certainly happen within the next year or two, when CCS-standard BEVs begin to appear in high volumes.

All that does not help us RIGHT NOW!

Anyway I am keeping my Model S CHAdeMO adapter in hopes that it will prove to be useful soon with Model 3.

• Informative
Reactions: abasile
Assuming it's the same adapter as the S/X, $602 CAD. Model S/X CHAdeMO Adapter

Ouch.... Probably not worth it for me then. I would be better off paying for supercharging on rare occasions when i need the charge since I would try to avoid the fast charging and use l2 for the most part anyway.... Crazy though, that adapter is about as expensive as a l2 charger, and it's probably nothing more than a glorified gender changer to make the connections mate up.

Also, seems like something that would be easily stolen, no?

From what I read when it came out there's actually a fair bit of hardware and R&D you're paying for to bridge two very different protocols.

If you have Superchargers around they're definitely the thing to use. But if you're considering a trip to Nova Scotia it's probably well worth the money.

Not easily stolen. Locks into the charge port the same way the J1772 adapter does.

Ouch.... Probably not worth it for me then. I would be better off paying for supercharging on rare occasions when i need the charge since I would try to avoid the fast charging and use l2 for the most part anyway.... Crazy though, that adapter is about as expensive as a l2 charger, and it's probably nothing more than a glorified gender changer to make the connections mate up.

No, it isnt just a gender changer. It is quite complex with a lot of software to ensure compatibility with dozens of different Chademo manufacturers, all implementing the poorly documented Chademo spec slightly differently.

Tesla has very competitive price points for their charging hardware (like the Mobile Connector and all the adapters).

People buy the Chademo adapter to fill gaps in SC coverage. I’ve had occasion to use mine when I’ve had to a lot of random path driving in a single day and the SCs just weren’t in convenient places. I bought it as a convenience, not to save money (you almost always have to pay for Chademo charging anyways).

Wish I had a picture handy, but we’re not talking about just a plug, this thing is massive. About a meter long, easily double my forearm in diameter at one end, and a good 20 or 30 pounds. This isn’t something you can palm, or walk off with without everyone seeing it.