Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:

Latest posts

Hawaii Tesla Owners

CHAdeMO Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone in the group use these or thinking about getting one? There are some changes coming with HECOs DC chargers that may affect the use of the CHAdeMO Adapter

The Commission will meet soon and decide
1. If the are going to keep the program going with the DC Chargers
2. If they keep the program they may change the rates from per session to per kwh

I had a long conversation with HECO after using the Kapolei station and had several problems. They are the ones who gave me the above information.

I have one here on Maui, but I've only ever used it on the mainland. On Maui, all of the CHAdeMo stations were originally designated for Leaf owners only. Now, they allow Tesla owners to join (you have to be a "Jump Smart Maui" member), but there is a monthly $30 fee, regardless of usage. They are too inconvenient for me to justify the expense, especially since they limit you to 30 minutes of charging at a time, and most of them can't do better than 44 kW.

Yeah, I have one. Use it quite a bit. With HECO's current per session rate it's worth it for me. But if they switch to per kWh, I'm not so sure. But, I'd pay close to rack rate for the convenience of the quick charging. Once it ramps up, I usually get 152mph of range. I can go from 0 to full in 2 hours. I have had some issues with the chargers at times, but the folks at the other end of the line when you call the phone number on the charger are usually able to reset it or restart it. I too heard from a HECO spokesperson that they were considering changing the fee structure.

• Informative
Reactions: Papafox and Akikiki
I've considered getting the adapter to help ease with travel across island. HELCO has 2 on the island at the moment (in Hilo and Kona) with a 3rd ready for dedication in Waimea.

At the moment, it appears to be a good option for Tesla owners and a stop gap until we get a supercharger (wink). If HELCO changes the fee structure, it may impact usage but it will still be a lot better than waiting for hours at a station across the island. HELCO applied for an extension of the program (I submitted testimony). I hope that it is approved.

Now that Oahu is on the Supercharger map for 2017, I encourage you and all other Tesla owners on B.I. to begin your campaign of lobbying Tesla for SuperchargerS on B.I. We will help when we can make our voices heard. There's a form at the bottom of the Supercharging page that is filled out with recommended location. Please do it and pass the word around. If anyone has a need for SuperchargerS it's Big Island folks.

And Merry Christmas to ya. :)

Now that Oahu is on the Supercharger map for 2017, I encourage you and all other Tesla owners on B.I. to begin your campaign of lobbying Tesla for SuperchargerS on B.I. We will help when we can make our voices heard. There's a form at the bottom of the Supercharging page that is filled out with recommended location. Please do it and pass the word around. If anyone has a need for SuperchargerS it's Big Island folks.

And Merry Christmas to ya. :)

Thank you. I've submtted a recommendation previously and will encourage our owners to do the same. With support from our owners and this great team, I'm sure we'll get heard.

Yeah, I have one. Use it quite a bit. With HECO's current per session rate it's worth it for me. But if they switch to per kWh, I'm not so sure. But, I'd pay close to rack rate for the convenience of the quick charging. Once it ramps up, I usually get 152mph of range. I can go from 0 to full in 2 hours. I have had some issues with the chargers at times, but the folks at the other end of the line when you call the phone number on the charger are usually able to reset it or restart it. I too heard from a HECO spokesperson that they were considering changing the fee structure.
The one in Kapolei willl only let you charge 30 min at a time