Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not getting full charge using CCS1 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but I bought the Tesla CCS1 Combo adapter from Harumio last year and has been working just fine. Recently, I was using my usual Electrify America 150kW charging station and was getting ~120kW rate, but after 5 minutes or so, my session ended abruptly. I re-inserted the adapter and started the session again, but I was only getting a rate of 30kW. I thought it was the charger, so I switched it to the second charger but the result was still the same. I thought it was my car at first, but I had my friend use the same station with my adapter and it was the same result. I took a look at the adapter and it looked like one of the hard rubber tips from the Tesla connector melted and fell off. Would that be the reason why I'm not getting the full charge speed?

Most likely the CCS1 adapter is heating up and hence the BMS in Tesla may be reducing the rate of charge rate or the the 3rd party Charger may be doing it. You may need to get an opinion and guidance from an expert in this topic.

I took a look at the adapter and it looked like one of the hard rubber tips from the Tesla connector melted and fell off. Would that be the reason why I'm not getting the full charge speed?
Please post a photo of this. It could be either the cause of the problem or a symptom of the cause (overheating). Your description is pretty vague, and being able to see the damage may help those who are more expert on these things than I am to diagnose the problem.

You're only going to see a max of ~135 kW or so from a "150 kW" EA station, as those are current-limited to 350A.
See my post about that: Results from the "350 kW" / 500A DCFC session is finally here!

However, 30 kW is unusually low. I've used my CCS1 adapter numerous times at EA stations and have not had any issues with derating power.
My guess is that the adapter is toast. Can you post pics of the front and back pins of the CCS1 adapter?

EDIT: In the thread above, looks like another user ran into the exact same problem as you. Charging normally, then dropped to 30 kW. Switched stalls and all is well. So maybe it's a EA cable failure after all.

This is a common problem with CCS1. The thermistor in the handle can easily break, especially when the plastic clip/lock breaks, becuase then it won't stay secured to the holster, and will drop on the ground, which from what I hear, is how the thermistor usually breaks....

Based on one of kyle's vidoes, when he was at the rivian adventure network event, one of the engineers mentioned this issue, and said that the supplier of the cables, updated the design to allow the thermistor to be serviced in the gen2 cables... However, the gen1 cables that EA uses, is not serviceable apparently, and requires the entire loop to be replaced.