Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chademo questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for that - very interesting.
Bad luck with the flat - that does concern me as there is no room in my dual motor front for a spare. I've never actually had a flat that required a tyre change outside the UK but there's always the chance of a first time!
When we got our Model S in 2015 the tyres were difficult to find so I've always carried a spare cover on long journeys. It may be easier now and the Model 3 may be a common size, haven't looked into that. Unfortunately the RWD Model S is the only Tesla with a frunk big enough for the tyre. It sure made it much quicker to get going again. I couldn't have picked a better place for a flat though - got a warning as I stopped to plug in and by the time I'd got my first coffee it was obvious. They found a nail in the tyre, must have happened just before I stopped. Good thing it didn't happen on the Péage! Be prepared is my motto!

Reactions: vitesse
If the 70 battery we have has a usable 68.8kWh (according to here Tesla’s hacked Battery Management System exposes the real usable capacity of its battery packs - Electrek) when new it looks like 64.2kWh represents a 6.7% drop - which is a fair bit more than I thought based on the Typical miles people reported their 70Ds had when new (around 227-229 miles at 100% or around 4.5%.

I'm droning on a bit now :D
Echoing the above, I never saw more than about 65 kWh useable from new. I calculate capacity by plotting Total Energy as reported by the trip meter against change in battery SOC (%) for longish non-stop trips. These figures reliably plot on a straight line & the longer the trip the more accurate the capacity estimate (if you leave the car parked for any period it's not reliable as power use when the car is off/in standby isn't tracked by the trip meter).

Don't read too much into those figures I've never seen anything close to 71kWh usable in our 75D and ScanMyTesla currently shows 64kWh useable.

As for DC Supercharging cap ScanMyTesla gives you that info too, the limiter starts at 2300kWh of DC charging I believe, the App also tells you the current max DC charge rate.
@vitesse be aware that @gangzoom has a 75 kWh battery which behaves differently to the 70 kWh. Before #batterygate the 75 kWh battery Supercharging rate appeared to be tapered based on kWh added via DC charging - the figures I saw quoted were that it started at 2625 kWh and maxed out at 13125 kWh DC. However, this didn't apply to the 70 (or 85) batteries which have historically had quite different charge rate curves.

I first started noticing a change in Supercharger rates sometime between April and June last year (I didn't do any Supercharging in May). It was a distinct change and I think it related to a software update rather than gradual tapering (i.e. #chargegate). But overall it's only adding 5-10 minutes or so to a charge session (15 minutes max) & something I'm happy to factor in. I estimate my car's done about 4200 kWh DC charging to date (Supercharging and CHAdeMO), out of about 13000 kWh total. Max DC charge rate I've seen recently is 113 kW (compared with 118 kW before April last year) but the rate now drops back (to ~90 kW) much faster than it used to and is much more likely to be affected by temperature (I've noticed the cooling fans don't run as often as they used to either).

Thanks @cezdoc - yes I was aware that the 70 and 85 batteries have slightly different battery chemistry to the 75 (which is the same as the 90, iirc). #batterygate does seem to affect 85s in particular but not so much the 70, possibly because we have the protection of being restricted to 350V so maximum power and maximum charging rate is lower by default. Kinder to the battery!

I have the impression that degradation is slightly faster with the 75/90 chemistry.

At Folkestone less than two weeks ago (about 7C) we arrived to see (hear!) an MS85 charging outside the Eurotunnel terminal. Its fans were making quite a din. I haven't heard the fans on ours since the height of summer.

We don't supercharge much and on long trips we can usually find something to do when needing a long-ish charge.

Reactions: cezdoc