Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of drama (20+ pages) and unhappy people over a piece of fabric gone wrong.

:oops::oops::oops::oops::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This is nothing, NOTHING, compared to the explosion of outrage and angst that occurred when it was discovered that Apple was sourcing 2 different versions of the A9 microprocessor for the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus phones... and that the chip sourced from TSMC had better performance and energy efficiency than the chip sourced from Samsung:

TSMC's A9 Chip Outperforming Samsung's in Early iPhone 6s Battery Benchmarks

People were freaking out all over the place, trying to determine if they had the TSMC chip or Samsung chip. eBay was flooded with auctions of 6s devices that sellers claimed to have the TSMC A9. Apple was eventually forced to publicly state that actual performance difference was only 2-3% in typical use, but many people who ran games and other CPU heavy apps were still very upset.

Tesla could learn a thing or 2 from this.

Some prior communication, rather than letting people discover unexpectedly, would mitigate the anger.

However, I will point out: (1) iPhone sales remained strong despite the scandal (2) Apple continues to this day to engage in sneaky behavior. The use of iOS updates to throttle iPhone CPUs to prevent crashes from bad batteries, and the dual sourcing of LTE modems from Qualcomm and Intel, where the Qualcomm modem was clearly superior in benchmarks, are 2 recent examples.

Apple continues to get away with it! And this is arguably much worse than the headliner!

Reactions: chibi_kurochan
Does anyone think the alcantara on the Model 3 doors will go away soon as well? If Tesla is truly moving away from all alcantara, then it seems that would be the next near term change. I have no idea what would go in its place.

Some premium balsa wood, probably. :)

Theory : Model 3 Alcantara headliner was made from S/X left over scrap :p

I doubt it, it's light gray, whereas every S I've seen had a slightly tan Alcantara.

I wonder if my 3 having Alcantara will make it a collector's item some day? :)

My understanding is that is gone as well right?

If not then well... It's not all bad. With the glass roof there's very little headliner anyway.
It was there on the ones I saw that had textile headliners (and the oddly mixed alcantara visors). The inside sales only knows about the headliner change, but of course we are the ones to inform them of that change.

This is nothing, NOTHING, compared to the explosion of outrage and angst that occurred when it was discovered that Apple was sourcing 2 different versions of the A9 microprocessor for the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus phones... and that the chip sourced from TSMC had better performance and energy efficiency than the chip sourced from Samsung:

TSMC's A9 Chip Outperforming Samsung's in Early iPhone 6s Battery Benchmarks

People were freaking out all over the place, trying to determine if they had the TSMC chip or Samsung chip. eBay was flooded with auctions of 6s devices that sellers claimed to have the TSMC A9. Apple was eventually forced to publicly state that actual performance difference was only 2-3% in typical use, but many people who ran games and other CPU heavy apps were still very upset.

Tesla could learn a thing or 2 from this.

Some prior communication, rather than letting people discover unexpectedly, would mitigate the anger.

However, I will point out: (1) iPhone sales remained strong despite the scandal (2) Apple continues to this day to engage in sneaky behavior. The use of iOS updates to throttle iPhone CPUs to prevent crashes from bad batteries, and the dual sourcing of LTE modems from Qualcomm and Intel, where the Qualcomm modem was clearly superior in benchmarks, are 2 recent examples.

Apple continues to get away with it! And this is arguably much worse than the headliner!
Apple? really? Does that supposed to make people feel better?

I spoke with my Model 3 rep. It felt as though he was trying to politely talk his way around it, but it appears the interior of the M3 will have the same material that is standard in Model S. He said that the material will likely be different than my Model S given that we have the premium MS interior. IE not Alcantara.

• Informative
Reactions: Garlan Garner
Apple? really? Does that supposed to make people feel better?

No.

The fact that Apple continues to engage in the same sneaky behavior, suggests that a company with a hot product can get away with a lot on the margins. Exceptions are flaws that can endanger people, like Samsung's exploding batteries from the Galaxy Note 7 line.

People may pray for Tesla to switch out headliners. Don't count on it.

• Informative
Reactions: Garlan Garner
Here is the respond I got from Executive Care Team:

Hello Eric,

As we continue to increase production of Model 3 and produce more high quality cars for customers, all Model 3 vehicles are being made with the same premium textile headliner found in our flagship Model S and Model X vehicles, which has always been planned at this stage of production. The Model 3 is a great car, and the premium package (PUP) retains premium finishes throughout the cabin, and benefits from a variety of other functional enhancements including premium audio, upgraded side mirrors, and heated front and rear seats.

This is the product that we are making going forward, and we did not communicate that customers would receive a specific material. We made this transition in S/X some time ago, and have been referring to this material as a Premium Headliner in those vehicles.The current material is also a premium headliner, but with a different texture, where durability has remain unchanged, and this is our product that we stand behind.

I hope this helps clear things up for you, and my apologies if it was not the exact response you desired. Thank you for being part of our growing Tesla family!

Hello Eric,

As we continue to increase production of Model 3 and produce more high quality cars for customers, all Model 3 vehicles are being made with the same premium textile headliner found in our flagship Model S and Model X vehicles, which has always been planned at this stage of production. The Model 3 is a great car, and the premium package (PUP) retains premium finishes throughout the cabin, and benefits from a variety of other functional enhancements including premium audio, upgraded side mirrors, and heated front and rear seats.

This is the product that we are making going forward, and we did not communicate that customers would receive a specific material. We made this transition in S/X some time ago, and have been referring to this material as a Premium Headliner in those vehicles.The current material is also a premium headliner, but with a different texture, where durability has remain unchanged, and this is our product that we stand behind.

I hope this helps clear things up for you, and my apologies if it was not the exact response you desired. Thank you for being part of our growing Tesla family!
Wow. The question is, when the white seats w/ black headliner become available, will the first few thousand of those also be Alcantara black?

Hello Eric,

Ha.......

This should be a turning point for Tesla. The old model of being unclear about specifications and making changes (to orders in-flight) as it suits them should be over. This is sloppy and embarrassing. If 50% of those with reservations held back their configurations until Tesla stops playing around with the specifications in addition to having an example Model 3 for viewing / test drives, TESLA WOULD CHANGE THEIR BEHAVIOR.

Folks, this is not about innocent mistakes but Tesla showing disrespect to customers. Put a darn set of pictures on your website for the BASE and PUP interiors of the Model 3 with clear descriptions of materials.

Indicate when white seats will be available (if ever) and any trim changes that result from the new seat color. This is clearly not Tesla at-their-best.

Tesla thinks it can MANAGE YOU by smiling while not communicating honestly while taking your final payments.

and heated front and rear seats.

Interesting. Is this new or have I been away for a while?

Hello Eric,

WOW...so, instead of “sorry” we get “we never told you that you were getting Alcântara.” which, you know, is in every picture, 2000ish cars, been throughly seen touched, tested and reviewed as THE material we were getting...

Rofl, and my stance, once again, is that I don’t care about the cloth/Alcântara...I care greatly about how all of this is actually happening, and Tesla’s response.

On a positive note...rear heated seats confirmed? :)

WOW...so, instead of “sorry” we get “we never told you that you were getting Alcântara.” which, you know, is in every picture, 2000ish cars, been throughly seen touched, tested and reviewed as THE material we were getting...

Rofl, and my stance, once again, is that I don’t care about the cloth/Alcântara...I care greatly about how this is actually happening.

On a positive note...rear heated seats confirmed? :)
Lol I was just typing this now. I also got the same email, and I was like "hey at least we get heated rear seats"

Status
Not open for further replies.