Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1st world problems. arrrgggghhhhh.[/QUOTE]

Cars with premium upgrades do sell for more on the secondary market without question. The original owner does take a high depreciation rate on options but they also enjoy the luxury of those options from new. As far as being uneducated buyers, there are buyers who don’t care and will buy anything but there are also very educated buyers who want what Tesla promoted. Addressing the claim that this is a first world problem and buyers shouldn’t complain.... Enjoying having these first world problems is a benefit of living in a first world country.

Last edited:
Reactions: MauryDann
Options for the most part are a losing proposition from a resale perspective.

People think resale losses are based on percentages. They aren't. They are based on dollars (or *.*).

If I buy a car for $120,000 and sell it for $80,000, I lost $40,000. If I buy the same model car for $60k, and sell it for $30k, I lost $30k.

But one depreciated to 67% and the other to 50% of their value.

To make it even worse, for most models the percentage of loss is higher the more the MSRP is. ie - It's more likely to be $120k > $60k and $60k > $40k. Which yields $60k loss and $20k loss respectively.

Options for the most part are a losing proposition from a resale perspective.

People think resale losses are based on percentages. They aren't. They are based on dollars (or *.*).

If I buy a car for $120,000 and sell it for $80,000, I lost $40,000. If I buy the same model car for $60k, and sell it for $30k, I lost $30k.

But one depreciated at 50% and the other at 67%.

To make it even worse, for most models the percentage of loss is higher the more the MSRP is. ie - It's more likely to be $120k > $60k and $60k > $40k. Which yields $60k loss and $20k loss respectively.
That is correct, only common sense, no argument there. You pay for the privilege of enjoying the better options at a higher rate. It’s no secret to buyers or sellers, it’s always been the case. Options are a profit center and base cars can carry little to no profit. Manufacturers usually offer high optioned versions first to grab the most profit from the desire to be the first buyers one to get the cars that the manufacturers have been teasing the public with, but in this case the tease was a littler better than what they are delivering. PT Cruisers sold for double window sticker when they first were released thanks to good PR campaigns

Last edited:
It also looks similar to the headliner Audi uses in the A3.

7745d1465653250-audi-a3-8p-2015-headliner-stains-image_1465653234117.jpg

And it also looks like the headliner on this company's webpage.

Business Solutions | Automotive
See that ugly black mark on there? I bet this is a post-cleaned photo and that's about as clean as it gets. I got a similar looking mark on my S's B pillar and it easily cleaned right off. Nobody would be able to tell by looking at it, where it once was. This is, for me, an important feature of the alcantara and a significant reason I want it in the 3 I've already ordered.

Last edited:
See that ugly black mark on there? I bet this is a post-cleaned photo and that's about as clean as it gets. I got a similar lookin mark on my S's B pillar and it easily cleaned right off. Nobody would be able to tell by looking at it, where it once was. This is, for me, an important feature of the alcantara and a significant reason I want it in the 3 I've already ordered.
That is exactly my experience also. The first model X I looked at was a showroom/demo model, it didn’t have PUP and had dirt embedded in the now so called “premium textile". Tesla detainers tried to clean it and wore the material down and still left the dirty stain on the light textile.

Tip of the day: Buy stock in any company supplying fake suede. They will sky rocket!

I've also heard from a local psychologist that the coming week is suddenly overbooked. Lot's of people have had hard times sleeping due to alcantaragate and now they seek for help.
Probably a good buy, the material sells very well, wears like iron and in the auto industry it is used almost exclusively in high end autos

Reactions: MauryDann
No
Yepp, and in this entry level Skoda Yeti
Hence the word “almost". Its not the best option on a seat because of continuous direct contact with moisture and oils but very luxurious to the touch. It just goes to show that they certainly could have put the material on the dash and headliner. Fabric on the seats isn’t my choice either, neither is the fake leather but at least it looks like real leather just like the alcantara looks like suede

Reactions: BioSehnsucht
The premium upgrade doesn’t really cost Tesla much money and returns high profit, options are the profit center of autos. PUP adds vinyl (fake leather) on the seats instead of "premium textile" cloth seats, better speakers and a glass roof panel. These together as a $5000 option is more profitable than selling a base car for $35k.

PUP adds more than that:
  • Premium heated seating and cabin materials throughout, including open pore wood décor and two rear USBs
  • 12-way, power adjustable front seats, steering column and side mirrors, with custom driver profiles
  • Premium audio system with more power, tweeters, surround speakers and subwoofer
  • Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection
  • Auto dimming, power folding, heated side mirrors
  • LED fog lamps
  • Center console with covered storage and docking for two smartphones
Does that really mean that non-PUP cars won't have power adjustable steering column and side mirrors? (I'm thinking that people will be very disappointed with non-PUP cars once they see them.)

The only proof needed that you can vote multiple times can be obtained by opening a private browser, going to that site and voting, then close that browser open another and then see for yourself. That’s what I did to learn whether it was truly a reliable unbiased polling tool. That site doesn’t require voters to be actual buyers, potential buyers, or just tire kickers.
I was referring to your implication that Tesla PR was doing this to tweak the vote. Do you have any evidence to support this?

If Tesla had never shown Ultra-Suede on any Model 3, I don't think I would see too much chatter saying "I want the ultra-suede". The situation here seems more about showing one thing then changing it. Along with getting used to one look, people are also wondering what else may be changing without notification. ( Are they using cheaper speakers in the 2018s for instance? ) I suspect that they are pre-ording batches of parts and materials to make these, and each time they start to run out of something they re-evaluate if they can find a better or cheaper way to do the next batch. The suppliers could be adjusting what they build/supply as well.

Regarding the "Alcantara doesn't wear well" comment in that video someone posted, that is about steering wheels and gear levers where your hands are constantly rubbing on them. For the headliner materials, they are rarely touched so it isn't an issue there.

Also, regarding the comments in the video that the ultra-suede shows marks... I think the mottled texture is a feature in that the uneven texture blends and hides any permanent marks / stains. It is another reason I prefer darker interior materials... It hides imperfections better than something that needs to be pristine to look clean.

It makes me think of shoe marketing where celebrities (particularly sports stars) are given mountains of free gleaming white shoes to be seen wearing all the time.
Then people feel that is the trend, and feel the need to be wearing new looking gleaming white shoes, and find that they have to keep buying frequent replacement pairs since the old ones show dirt and scuff marks so quickly.
Celebrity Style Trend: Bright White Trainers | British Vogue

I don't want a gleaming white headliner. I want something that looks uniformly comfortably worn so that it ages well even without constant cleaning.

Another comment about all this... The material isn't just for the headliner... It is used for the pillars in front of the driver around the windshield. This is right in the field of view where everyone in the car tends to be looking most of the time. Those pillars are fairly large for safety reasons. It seems to be in a critical view area where quality / appearance of the material will leave an impression for those in the car. If there was an option to use dark ultra-suede on those pillars, I would want that, more than concerning myself with materials over my head where I rarely look.

I was referring to your implication that Tesla PR was doing this to tweak the vote. Do you have any evidence to support this?
No, Im not saying that and don’t have evidence of Tesla doing that. When I said the PR team it could be anyone in general. I’m saying any person could easily change that poll because it was not set up professionally and has no safeguards against people that are passionate about a subject easily changing the outcome to suit there desired results. Someone might look at that poll and think that those results are genuine and think they might be in the minority and they may be asking too much when they expect to get product what was sold as the final production car. It’s also sad for Tesla that people would or could suspect that kind of behavior that Tesla brought on themselves by a response like “we have been planning this all along". It causes a lack of trust between loyal customers and Tesla when they are essentially claiming it was just deceptive marketing by showed one product and saying they really intended on delivering it.

Last edited:
Reactions: insaneoctane
1st world problems. arrrgggghhhhh.

Cars with premium upgrades do sell for more on the secondary market without question. The original owner does take a high depreciation rate on options but they also enjoy the luxury of those options from new. As far as being uneducated buyers, there are buyers who don’t care and will buy anything but there are also very educated buyers who want what Tesla promoted. Addressing the claim that this is a first world problem and buyers shouldn’t complain.... Enjoying having these first world problems is a benefit of living in a first world country.[/QUOTE]
I agree. I’m not saying that should not complain. But complaining about the lipstick on the dashboard when you are getting a car that smokes pretty much everything in this class of car and not realizing the other attributes is absurd. PUP has some value, but that fabric isn’t one I weighed heavily.

This car will be the BlackSwan of the whole industry and will forever change what people set as the benchmarch for what a car should be.

Never will you visit a stinky gas station again. That was worth thousands of dollars to me on all three of our model s purchases.

Everyday you wake up with a full “tank”. Worth thousands to me again. No time suck sitting inline at Costco to save a couple of pennies freezing my ass off.

Smoking every sports car driven by some dude who doesn’t even know how to shift. Priceless

Watching them slow down at the next light not making eye contact with you in the $250000 golf cart. Again priceless

Watching oil companies panic. Priceless

Watching the Middle East panic. Priceless

Watching every kid beg me to see the car and realizing we have a future that gets it. Again priceless.

Put flannel underwear fabric on mine. I don’t rate this as a buying decision.

"But complaining about the lipstick on the dashboard when you are getting a car that smokes pretty much everything in this class of car and not realizing the other attributes is absurd.

Smoking every sports car driven by some dude who doesn’t even know how to shift. Priceless"

It's important to note that Tesla's high performance is mostly restricted to 0-60 launches and limited numbers of those at that. That's why Tesla doesn't do Nurburgring tests, at least not that the publicize. As a matter of fact, publications who've taken model s's on track have had very poor results due to overheating. Most sports car owners use many more metrics besides the simple 0-60 launch times in order to determine the performance level of their cars. It's a bit facile to pretend that teslas smoke all the competition, especially in the $250,000 realm that you were discussing.

But you already have paid for it, if you got PUP. That's the whole gripe of the situation. Some people who got PUP actually get a premium headliner, while others (The 99%, ironically ;) ) are getting a product used in Hyundais/Kia's that Tesla has chosen to call "Premium".

Same cloth headliner as my Infiniti, it doesn't prove anything
20180111_125440.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.