Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They obviously want to use same headliner all trim lines. There looking to improve margins. Alcantara was elon's preference but only if they could meet margins. They are still losing money need to make cuts that don't affect performance. I'm o.k. with this, for now. When they are profitable not o.k.

Tesla needs to know that there were 50 pages of discussion about this issue here in TMC. Maybe when they meet about something else.....they will think twice about the possible perspectives of their customers.

I've followed most of this discussion and am struck that no one seems concerned that apparently after just 2000 vehicles a supplier "stopped talking to us" per a Tesla employee. When you commit suppliers to meeting a projected run rate and then drastically change/reduce that rate a couple of times you have created huge issues with hundreds of suppliers. They have ramped up and capitalized expenditures based on Elons projections. Some will be able to deal with that, many will not and will have ample reason to end their relationship and focus on their larger, legacy customers. The headliner material is a commodity item and easy to switch out, not the case with custom parts. Although even this switch can cause customer complaints. This is not a good indication about how the other "thousand" suppliers have dealt with planning errors. Delays of 3 to 6 months cause serious costs in automobile manufacturing. This "Alcantara" issue could be the "canary in the coal mine" with regard to problems caused by the delayed product ramp. Personally I'll be surprised if this is not the only hiccup. my 2 cents :)

Yes. Quite a number of them did.
I guess I should of put this way. Did any of these happen with less the 2000 cars being made
They obviously want to use same headliner all trim lines. There looking to improve margins. Alcantara was elon's preference but only if they could meet margins. They are still losing money need to make cuts that don't affect performance. I'm o.k. with this, for now. When they are profitable not o.k.
how about if they call the standard stereo premium and discontinue the premium stereo but still charge you $5000 for PUP will you still be ok with it

I guess I should of put this way. Did any of these happen with less the 2000 cars being made

how about if they call the standard stereo premium and discontinue the premium stereo but still charge you $5000 for PUP will you still be ok with it
Good point but this is par for the course as far as tesla is concerned. Standard headliner for all model 3's simplifies production 5000 vehicles a week is a priority. Those who finalized order before this change should get at the very least an apology and a valid explanation.

I've followed most of this discussion and am struck that no one seems concerned that apparently after just 2000 vehicles a supplier "stopped talking to us" per a Tesla employee. When you commit suppliers to meeting a projected run rate and then drastically change/reduce that rate a couple of times you have created huge issues with hundreds of suppliers. They have ramped up and capitalized expenditures based on Elons projections. Some will be able to deal with that, many will not and will have ample reason to end their relationship and focus on their larger, legacy customers. The headliner material is a commodity item and easy to switch out, not the case with custom parts. Although even this switch can cause customer complaints. This is not a good indication about how the other "thousand" suppliers have dealt with planning errors. Delays of 3 to 6 months cause serious costs in automobile manufacturing. This "Alcantara" issue could be the "canary in the coal mine" with regard to problems caused by the delayed product ramp. Personally I'll be surprised if this is not the only hiccup. my 2 cents :)

Great comment IMHO. I have made similar comments, as has Anxiety Ranger and a few others. I agree totally with your sentiment that this could be the "Canary in the coal mine". I think it's puzzling that most people seem to be ignoring the statement that the supplier quit talking to Tesla. I strongly believe that the reason for this change is that Tesla's relationship with the supplier was frayed beyond repair due to their extremely poorly executed and communicated ramp of the model 3 production.

Thanks for the post. I'm not aware that a supplier stopped providing a product.

So far as I have heard......Tesla says that the change in the headliner was their plan. I'm not sure how long it has been their plan, however that's what they said. Not only was the replacement of the headliner a plan for the Model 3....it was for the S and X as well - according to Tesla.

A closer look at the Tesla Model 3’s controversial new headliner <----This article might have been fueled from this TMC thread. Who knows?

If you have a link or something to the employee that spoke about this it would be great.

Great comment IMHO. I have made similar comments, as has Anxiety Ranger and a few others. I agree totally with your sentiment that this could be the "Canary in the coal mine". I think it's puzzling that most people seem to be ignoring the statement that the supplier quit talking to Tesla. I strongly believe that the reason for this change is that Tesla's relationship with the supplier was frayed beyond repair due to their extremely poorly executed and communicated ramp of the model 3 production.

What supplier? Who? Link?

extremely poorly executed and communicated ramp of the model .......

This has been the case for over a decade.

All I read from the trade journals like Automotive News and Ward's Auto is that suppliers very much want to work with Tesla. It is prestigious to do so, they like publicizing they are a Tesla supplier, and they see growth of 50% plus in volume for many years.

They have severed relationship with Mobil Eye, strained relationship with seat supplier Futuris before they were bought out by Adient, the original Falcon Wing door supplier(forget their name), and now the faux suede supplier. That we have heard of.

What supplier? Who? Link?

From reddit
. The following was posted today (10 Jan) on TMC here.

Well I've had my S for over 2yrs now. I was picking it up from service. But better late than never, right? Anyway, I talked to a couple of people regarding the Alcantara issue. One person explained to me that they had a supplier that stopped talking to them (Tesla) after about 2,000 vehicles.

This has been the case for over a decade.

All I read from the trade journals like Automotive News and Ward's Auto is that suppliers very much want to work with Tesla. It is prestigious to do so, they like publicizing they are a Tesla supplier, and they see growth of 50% plus in volume for many years.

They have severed relationship with Mobil Eye, strained relationship with seat supplier Futuris before they were bought out by Adient, the original Falcon Wing door supplier(forget their name), and now the faux suede supplier. That we have heard of.

Did TESLA actually sever the relationship with Mibil Eye? Seems I read differently over a year ago. That loss of Mobil Eye has been a very, very difficult problem to date...

Thank you very much

FURY

From reddit
. The following was posted today (10 Jan) on TMC here.

Well I've had my S for over 2yrs now. I was picking it up from service. But better late than never, right? Anyway, I talked to a couple of people regarding the Alcantara issue. One person explained to me that they had a supplier that stopped talking to them (Tesla) after about 2,000 vehicles.
Arrrgghh... ok. I read it. <--- I say this with great hesitation.

A delivery employee wouldn't know such things....let alone pass that kind of info on to customers.

Do you have the reddit link?

This turned out to more interesting than I expected. The visors are mostly covered in the same woven cloth material as the headliner and B pillar. But the little flap that covers the vanity mirror looks like the alcantara.

To put all of this in the proper perspective, the people I've showed the car to so far have all said "om my god, look at that glass roof!" No one has commented on the headliner material.

View attachment 272441 View attachment 272442 View attachment 272443

I can see where they might want to keep a softer material like the alcantara for the mirror covering so as not to scratch the glass of the mirror.

If anyone wants to do something about this, SA Automotive, Tesla's headliner supplier, is looking for an intern. :D

SA Automotive is seeking an Assistant (Intern) to help document tooling, equipment, timing, and costs that are related to the Tesla Model 3 headliner program (as well as others).

https://careerpipeline.blogs.unr.edu/files/2018/01/2018-01-10-Assistant-Intern-SA-Automotive-ME.pdf

Edit - Apparently the Alcantara supply drying up has been a thing since at least the middle of last year.

Tesla Model 3 Alcantara controversy explained • r/teslamotors

Last edited:
Reactions: anonim1979
https://www.linkedin.com/in/magued-ghobreal-3b99485b/
Project Engineer
Company Name: SA Automotive

Tesla Model 3 Interiors Tier 1 Supplier.
• Participated in the prototype , product development and pre-launch phases of Tesla Model 3 headliners program in Mexico for 5 months
• Assisted in NPI (New Product Introduction) and the setup of new plant in Reno, Nevada for Model 3 headliners launch phase
• Managed customer open issues closure meetings for quality, product development and design
• Created and established process and design specifications for product components and tooling
• Updated project risk assessment spreadsheets on a weekly basis
• Communicated RFQs (Request for quote) to suppliers based on engineering requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.