Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change in charging intervals when plugged in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Model X 100D. I always keep it plugged in to the connector in my garage, and previously, there would be a certain length of time due to phantom drain that the car would lose some miles and then at a certain point of loss, it would charge the car again up to the set percentage. Now, I'm noticing that it is activating the connector and charging when there is not even a mile loss. Which means it is charging for not even a full minute and doing this all day over and over and over again, which is different behavior from the last 2 years. Not sure if this is a result of a recent software update or if it indicates a problem. Anybody else notice this change?

Yes I noticed this Saturday night when I charged at home from 40% to 50% (I charge at work for free so only charge to 50% when at home to keep battery happy). Car finished at 50% and an hour latter got a notification that the car started charging again and finished a minute latter. Has only happened once. Glad you posted as I thought it was quite strange.

I am seeing this same behavior too, in my 2018 100D. I have heard the charger relay 3 times so far today and condsidering how little time I have been in the garage, I have to guess it is turning on and off possibily multiple times per hour for no more than 30 seconds at a time.

Fearing the excessive wear on the charger relay and maybe other charging components, I am considering leaving the X unplugged except when I really need a charge.

I'm getting this nearly every 30-45 mins through the entire night. Basically at all times. I was wondering if it had something to do with having a non Tesla charger (I have a Clipper Creek from previous car with adapter) but it appears not. That didn't ring true to me any way since the smarts and request for load comes from the car and charger is just happy to oblige.

This can't be healthy for the car and its for sure not healthy for the relay in the charger.

I have Sentry Mode, but its disabled when at home via GPS. I don't know why the car would need to do some kind of periodic check in to know if its still in the same place or not. But maybe my next step will be to disable it completely and see if that does anything.