Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changed Order from 3P+ to SR+, Am I Crazy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't go all the way the P model, but I did just switch from an ordered SR+, that may or may not have made it for the end of year tax break, to an AWD with the same options that's sitting on the lot in Plano.

I was not only panicked about losing the tax break, which I was told had become a coin toss for my order to arrive before Dec 31, but also if I would drive myself crazy wishing I had gotten the dual motor, even though I don't technically need it.

It already seemed like I was going to be on the upgrade path to feeling better about the SR+, and I don't like putting myself in that position as someone with a self-proclaimed car obsessive compulsive disorder.

All the little things that you don't get in the SR+ add up, including the extra interior lighting, the lowered stance, the full sound system, the fog lamps, the garage door opener, and the heated rear seats. I would probably spend $2-3K trying to add all those things to my SR+ in hopes of feeling better on saving money.

Then I would probably think about the missed extra range, whether or not that's logical. I can't add that on after the fact. And then there's the power delivery. A car that does 5.3 sec is still plenty fast for me for a daily driver, but I am a true car nut and for a true car nut, power delivery is even more important than performance for enjoyment of a daily driver. So hearing about the "torque ripple" from Engineering Explained and how Tesla had to slow the power delivery at take off speeds would constantly play in my head every time I started off from a dead stop.

Then there's the discussion of extra wear on the battery for the smaller battery in the SR+, the less attractive battery warranty, and the theories about better resale value (I am buying not leasing) of the bigger battery.

I am getting $1050 off for the AWD car because the car has 235 miles on it, which is $4.67/mile off. It's still on the mvpa as "new." So add up the $1050 off, a $1875 tax break I could lose, and all the extra cost to upgrade the SR+ ($2-3K), and now that extra $9k is really more like $3-4K extra to me for a car I will be much happier about and will hopefully be a better resale value.

So that's my story. YMMV

I didn't go all the way the P model, but I did just switch from an ordered SR+, that may or may not have made it for the end of year tax break, to an AWD with the same options that's sitting on the lot in Plano.

I was not only panicked about losing the tax break, which I was told had become a coin toss for my order to arrive before Dec 31, but also if I would drive myself crazy wishing I had gotten the dual motor, even though I don't technically need it.

It already seemed like I was going to be on the upgrade path to feeling better about the SR+, and I don't like putting myself in that position as someone with a self-proclaimed car obsessive compulsive disorder.

All the little things that you don't get in the SR+ add up, including the extra interior lighting, the lowered stance, the full sound system, the fog lamps, the garage door opener, and the heated rear seats. I would probably spend $2-3K trying to add all those things to my SR+ in hopes of feeling better on saving money.

Then I would probably think about the missed extra range, whether or not that's logical. I can't add that on after the fact. And then there's the power delivery. A car that does 5.3 sec is still plenty fast for me for a daily driver, but I am a true car nut and for a true car nut, power delivery is even more important than performance for enjoyment of a daily driver. So hearing about the "torque ripple" from Engineering Explained and how Tesla had to slow the power delivery at take off speeds would constantly play in my head every time I started off from a dead stop.

Then there's the discussion of extra wear on the battery for the smaller battery in the SR+, the less attractive battery warranty, and the theories about better resale value (I am buying not leasing) of the bigger battery.

I am getting $1050 off for the AWD car because the car has 235 miles on it, which is $4.67/mile off. It's still on the mvpa as "new." So add up the $1050 off, a $1875 tax break I could lose, and all the extra cost to upgrade the SR+ ($2-3K), and now that extra $9k is really more like $3-4K extra to me for a car I will be much happier about and will hopefully be a better resale value.

So that's my story. YMMV

Sounds like you have it all sorted out. Best of luck.

Thanks, thats very similar to my line of thought, if I go cheap, I'll be constantly second-guessing myself. I still have the stripper on order, but now think I'll lease if I go that route. (and will still wish I splurged for more, even if I don't "need" it).

I don’t know how Tesla is about breaking leases or getting out early, but I would only lease if I knew I wanted to keep the car for the full term. Otherwise, it could be more expensive to get out early if the SR+ becomes a situation like Engineering Explained. He only lasted a month before being compelled to upgrade.

OK, latest update: Found a black on white Stealth in LA, matched it yesterday, but its an '18 with aeros (no me gusta 18" rims). I got cold feet because it will be a 2 yr old car in 10 days, black is a pita, and I want at least 19's or 20's, and cancelled. An hour later, I realized it would have been a good car to lease (depreciation for MY wouldn't be my problem), checked, but the car was gone.

Three hours later my SA called and said the car was actually available again, and I committed. The performance motors are my biggest want, but the color and rims are a compromise, so yes, I'm doubting a bit. . . I figure I can pick up some rims to switch out, and deal with the black, and I'm happy. . . . right? (insert uncertain nervous laughter here)

OK, latest update: Found a black on white Stealth in LA, matched it yesterday, but its an '18 with aeros (no me gusta 18" rims). I got cold feet because it will be a 2 yr old car in 10 days, black is a pita, and I want at least 19's or 20's, and cancelled. An hour later, I realized it would have been a good car to lease (depreciation for MY wouldn't be my problem), checked, but the car was gone.

Three hours later my SA called and said the car was actually available again, and I committed. The performance motors are my biggest want, but the color and rims are a compromise, so yes, I'm doubting a bit. . . I figure I can pick up some rims to switch out, and deal with the black, and I'm happy. . . . right? (insert uncertain nervous laughter here)

How much discount did they offer you for taking a 2018? Did it have a lot of miles on it?