Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changes to Supercharger Billing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Enjoy...

Attachments

• EN9UymAWoAAKWoO.jpg
    EN9UymAWoAAKWoO.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 245
Wait... a 10 - 25 kWh difference? In an hour of charging? How is that even possible? The heater, even running at full blast, only draws 6 kW.
Apparently with V3 supercharging the battery is heated to 50C using 9kW but of course that doesn't last very long. They previously only billed for energy added to the battery. Maybe the battery itself generates a substantial amount of heat while being charged quickly?

Seems like they should have just raised prices again, while more accurate this seems like it will just make people upset and lead to endless questions like "Why was I charged for 60kWh when I only added 50kWh of charge???".

Reactions: 2012MS85
Apparently with V3 supercharging the battery is heated to 50C using 9kW but of course that doesn't last very long. They previously only billed for energy added to the battery. Maybe the battery itself generates a substantial amount of heat while being charged quickly?

Seems like they should have just raised prices again, while more accurate this seems like it will just make people upset and lead to endless questions like "Why was I charged for 60kWh when I only added 50kWh of charge???".
There was a recent ruling in California that EV charging providers had to sell charging services by the kWh delivered from the station. IMHO, this billing change is the first step in Tesla becoming compliant with the CA-DMS ruling.