Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changes to Supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anyone else get the rather cryptic Changes to Supercharging email this morning? Maybe it's my early morning brain but I can't figure out what's changed and why they are telling me.

Thanks.

I received the following email:

“From April 13th, we are updating Supercharging pricing. All customers can purchase a membership to access lower prices for Supercharging or pay higher, non-membership prices.

As a Tesla driver, you're automatically a member and you can continue to access lower member prices when Supercharging.

No action required.”

I thought this was how it’s been since they began opening their chargers to other brand EVs?

Reactions: spdpsba
I received the following email:

“From April 13th, we are updating Supercharging pricing. All customers can purchase a membership to access lower prices for Supercharging or pay higher, non-membership prices.

As a Tesla driver, you're automatically a member and you can continue to access lower member prices when Supercharging.

No action required.”

I thought this was how it’s been since they began opening their chargers to other brand EVs?
It is, they are notifying everyone that pricing will be "updated" i.e. going up most probably.

For anyone who didn't get the email yet, this is all it says:

1712917753794.png

The Learn More link just points to the Supercharging part of the web page but this is the relevant page: https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/support/supercharging-other-evs#supercharging-membership

Got the same.
Interestingly, when you click learn more, it takes you to their Supercharger Support page which does not yet mention a subscription or the cost increases.
Given this is in effect from tomorrow, I'm surprised (perhaps I should not be!).
Will be interested to see what the subscription costs will be, and what the increase will look like without the subscription. I only use Superchargers a couple of times a year when visiting family 100+ miles away, so not a massive impact personally.

Got the same.
Interestingly, when you click learn more, it takes you to their Supercharger Support page which does not yet mention a subscription or the cost increases.
Given this is in effect from tomorrow, I'm surprised (perhaps I should not be!).
Will be interested to see what the subscription costs will be, and what the increase will look like without the subscription. I only use Superchargers a couple of times a year when visiting family 100+ miles away, so not a massive impact personally.
The link does take you to a section on Supercharging Membership, it's just that the anchor link is partially obscured by the sticky nav.

Reactions: _Dave_
I presume that none Tesla owwners can pay to be a member and thus then be able to use the Tesla superchargers but I am guessing. And on the topis of guessing I am wondering . . . why send me an email telling me this follwoed by . ..
As a Tesla driver, you're automatically a member and you can continue to access lower member prices when Supercharging​

Reactions: boombap
I may be wrong. But I believe we had to pay the same prices as other EV’s on Tesla SC’s

This email now says Tesla owners will have a “discount”?

Is that right? I didn’t think as Tesla owners we paid a discounted price for owning one. I may be wrong of course. I don’t really use superchargers (probably once or twice a year)

Very confusing email.

I guess they are putting up the non-member price per kWh, but want us to know that isn't going to effect us as Tesla owners if we see news about it.

Given wholesale electricity prices aren't changing, this is perhaps mainly to encourage non Tesla drivers into memberships, creating loyalty. It's odd at the moment that non-member pricing is cheaper than alternative chargers at the same site.

Some sort of regulator does need to look at the pricing of public charging, it doubled in the winter before last due to energy prices, and has largely just stayed there. Drag the heads of Gridserve, Instavolt, Fastned, Osprey, BP and Shell into a select committee to explain why they now need more margin.

I may be wrong. But I believe we had to pay the same prices as other EV’s on Tesla SC’s

This email now says Tesla owners will have a “discount”?

Is that right? I didn’t think as Tesla owners we paid a discounted price for owning one. I may be wrong of course. I don’t really use superchargers (probably once or twice a year)
There are two prices, a members price and a non-members price, about 10p different. All Tesla owners are members, other car owner can pay a £10 a month to be a member, or pay the non-members price.

Reactions: boombap
There's a few different ways you can read this email.
  • Is it the price of "membership" itself that's changing? If so, strange that it's just the UK
  • Is it the way that member vs non-member pricing works changing - ie does this mean Tesla owners can get membership pricing when charging their non-Tesla EVs?
  • Is the per-kWh pricing changing significantly - if so up? or down? Just for non-members, or for members to?