Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changes to Supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t read all of these but generally you’ll see articles that will present both sides of the story, I don’t have all the facts and figures to calculate it all.
Not really, proper research is easy to spot. Generally what happens is people deliberately misinterpret to suit their case, there was a Volvo study that I lose count of how many people reported the number of KM to break even as Miles.

Aware cars get passed down. I wonder though if an EV will have a shelf life like an ICE or they’ll be scrapped sooner. Not even maybe suggesting around the battery though they will degrade limiting the range and replacing it is uneconomical on a car that’s not worth much. It’s more that cars are becoming far more technically advanced. A lot of features won’t work without a data connection, cloud servers and so on. When that stops working on old models, the car might move but lots of other features will die. Will people still drive them or scrap them easier for a newer car?
This isn't a factor for EVs alone, new ICE cars have all sort of online connections as well.

I still think some emissions are probably hidden or in the wrong place but not looked into it. 9% is shipping but is that all boats that are UK registered or all boats that ship goods to the UK? So that boat of Tesla’s that comes here, are we taking the hit for the CO2 there or the country that has that ship registered against it? Seeing as we have a massive trade deficit that probably works in our favour if it’s not on our countries books.
Even still, the carbon cost of shipping related to one car is tiny compared to the fuel (electric or fossil) that powers it in use.

I

Reactions: thax1
This isn't a factor for EVs alone, new ICE cars have all sort of online connections as well.
Very true, point was more that regardless of propulsion method cars might not be kept on the road as long as they have historically. An EV might be more so, unable to see when charge is complete because no working app. In 10 years time an EV will have really moved forwards a lot I think, probably a lot faster charging being a key one.