Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing Color After Ordering Causes Delivery Delay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Original Order Date: 03/14/2022
Model and config: Model Y with white interior

Hi friends, earlier today I asked my sales associate to change the vehicle color from midnight silver to pearl white. After he made the change, two things changed: 1. estimated delivery date, and 2. order date.

For the #1 change, I thought it would not happen after searching in the forum; people always say that changing color has not resulted in a change in EDD. However, my EDD was pushed from Sep. 2022 to Nov. 2022-Jan.2022, which is the EDD if I order the same configuration today. Therefore, I am wondering if this would just be a temporary change, and the EDD will go back to the original one in a few days?

For the #2 change, the updated order agreement shows that my order was placed today; I am wondering if the original order date, which is 03/14/2022, will still show up in the final purchase agreement at delivery, because only an order date before 03/15/2022 can given you a 2000 USD rebate from CVRP (see here: https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/en/faqs/can-i-apply-rebate-my-tesla-model-3-or-tesla-model-y)?

Thank you all in advance!

Reactions: JDEWD250
Can’t answer #2 because I didn’t make a change to mine, but for #1 that’s likely a placeholder until they recalculate. It usually takes their system up to a few days to figure out your new place in line.

Upvote 0
Actually, I might be able to answer #2. We must have made some sort of change because the Order Agreement has 8/18/22 on it, but the MVPA has 8/16/22 on it which is the date I recall actually placing the order.

Upvote 0
Actually, I might be able to answer #2. We must have made some sort of change because the Order Agreement has 8/18/22 on it, but the MVPA has 8/16/22 on it which is the date I recall actually placing the order.
Hi, thank you so much for the reply! That makes me feel at ease. For the #1, because midnight silver and white are both free, do you think that after they recalculate my place in line my EDD will still be delayed? (I was told by my sales associate that because white is popular my order will likely be delayed, though I don't know if color would affect this at all given that both midnight silver and white are free). Thanks!

Upvote 0
There’s not much rhyme or reason to when your car gets made, unfortunately, but yeah I think free colors may possibly push you back a bit since they’re the most popular.
Ah I see. Sorry for the confusion; my original color, midnight silver, was also free; that is why I thought switching to white shouldn't change the EDD since both are free. Anyway, thank you my friend!

Reactions: RocY
Upvote 0
Also curious about this subject. Did you get an answer to the question since the last post?
Hey, so since then I changed my order from a long range one to a performance model. I also changed the color. The EDD jumped to a much closer date. Although I am not sure it this EDD is accurate, I think from what I see and what I heard changing color would not affect the EDD (the EDD would be delayed at first, but then would seem to be adjusted back). However, my statement may be incorrect.

Upvote 0
I ordered a Black MYLR on 3/15/22 with an EDD of September 2022. I called the 800 number and got them to enable the Edit Configuration button. I changed my color from Black to White. After saving my changes the new EDD is December-March 2023. Uggh. i went back in and changed the color from White to Black. The EDD stayed the same December-March 2023. I’m so tired of waiting. I decided to edit the configuration again, this time i selected White MY Performance. After saving my changes the new EDD is June 18-July 1. I live in NC. Wow, I hope the EDD is true! It’s less than 2 weeks away. I have seen a lot of comparisons between MYLR and MYP, but never have they compared the delivery times. I really dont need performance model, but hey, for $5k more, i get a faster car, and i get it a year sooner! Plus it appears I dont have to wait around wondering like the rest of us. Tesla might as well have a tiered system, with immediate delivery for those willing to pay 1.5x and slower delivery for those willing to pay 1.2x and very slow delivery for those willing to pay list price. Thoughts?

Upvote 0
I ordered MYP MSM with white interior and tow hitch back in March 2022. Delivery date was June 25th. My bank even funded the car and it was completely paid for. Two days before delivery date my wife decided to change to metallic blue instead. New estimated delivery date pushed me back to September 18-October 30th 2022. Within a week my EDD ichanged to July 18 to the 24th. It pushed back another week. Now I’m picking up the car on July 29, 2022. In short from my experience at least with the model Y performance initial new delivery dates are for an excess of the actual one. Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
I ordered MYP MSM with white interior and tow hitch back in March 2022. Delivery date was June 25th. My bank even funded the car and it was completely paid for. Two days before delivery date my wife decided to change to metallic blue instead. New estimated delivery date pushed me back to September 18-October 30th 2022. Within a week my EDD ichanged to July 18 to the 24th. It pushed back another week. Now I’m picking up the car on July 29, 2022. In short from my experience at least with the model Y performance initial new delivery dates are for an excess of the actual one. Hope that helps.
Ah I see. Thank you very much for sharing! That is good to know.

Upvote 0
I ordered a Black MYLR on 3/15/22 with an EDD of September 2022. I called the 800 number and got them to enable the Edit Configuration button. I changed my color from Black to White. After saving my changes the new EDD is December-March 2023. Uggh. i went back in and changed the color from White to Black. The EDD stayed the same December-March 2023. I’m so tired of waiting. I decided to edit the configuration again, this time i selected White MY Performance. After saving my changes the new EDD is June 18-July 1. I live in NC. Wow, I hope the EDD is true! It’s less than 2 weeks away. I have seen a lot of comparisons between MYLR and MYP, but never have they compared the delivery times. I really dont need performance model, but hey, for $5k more, i get a faster car, and i get it a year sooner! Plus it appears I dont have to wait around wondering like the rest of us. Tesla might as well have a tiered system, with immediate delivery for those willing to pay 1.5x and slower delivery for those willing to pay 1.2x and very slow delivery for those willing to pay list price. Thoughts?
Yes they are pushing out performance models as the have larger profits - good luck and enjoy -

Upvote 0