TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Changing Configuration After Delivery

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ilovtesl, Mar 21, 2016.

1. ilovtesl

ilovtesl Member

Is it possible to take away the middle seat after delivery to get a 6 seat configuration instead of having a 7 seat configuration?

2. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

I've asked various people at Tesla that exact same question (I even indicated I expected to pay for the alteration). The answer was always "no", but I felt that was a standard answer without really giving it much thought.

One DS said that the seat configuration is encoded in the VIN, and the VIN can never change. At first that made sense, but then I felt that it shouldn't matter if the vehicle is altered and doesn't match the VIN specs.

3. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

You should ask the DS what bit (character) in the VIN states what the seats are. Also if true, that should be called out in the Emergency Response Guide.

4. dwebb66

dwebb66 Member

Why would it need to be called out in the ERG?

5. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

#5 Aljohn, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    here is the VIN decoder The # of seat belt restraints by row is part of the VIN in position 6. If the Digit in Position 6 is an A, then the second row has three seats and seats restraints; if the digit is a B, then the second row has a two seats and seat restraints.

The information Tesla gave is correct. I found this out when Audi delivered the wrong second seat config a number of years ago. I asked them to change the seats -- it couldn't be done.

VIN Decoder | TeslaTap

6. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

Thanks for confirming @Aljohn. Maybe other minivans/SUVs with removeable seats don't encode the number of seats into the VIN?

7. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

To be clear, the VIN code is for the number of Retraining Systems (seat belts) -- assuming one for each seat. So minivans with removable seats still have the belts there which would be part of the design. Changing an X from 7 to 6 Seats would require removing the middle Belt system, therefore invalidating the VIN Code, since Tesla didn't design the middle seat to be removable (sensors, belts, anchors, etc. would have to be removed).

• Informative x 1
  8. Stephensnc

Stephensnc Member

I have 3 seat configuration
    Can I remove middle seat?
    I didn't know about the 2 seat setup

9. proven

proven Member

Everything I've heard says that it can't be removed. I did read on here somewhere that someone was going to try, but I assume with the sensors that some software would have to be altered as well. I'm curious, how did you not know about the 2 seat setup? It was in the design studio when you ordered.

10. Stephensnc

Stephensnc Member

11. Stephensnc

Stephensnc Member

With the 3rd row recall
    I called spoke to service rep
    Stated
    Since I need to bring in my car for 3rd row safety recall . While working on the the seats can you maybe remove the middle seat in the 2nd row?
    Answer
    No

• Informative x 1
  12. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Well it was a nice try. Seems odd but I wonder if it is more of a workload issue than a capability issue.

13. Colby Boles

Colby Boles Member

Certainly it is removable... it just sounds like Tesla isn't willing to remove it.

14. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

This has already been discussed in other threads. It was presumed that since the number of seats (and seatbelts) is encoded in the VIN, that's not something they can change, especially since the seatbelts are integrated into the seats. In vehicles with removeable seats, the seatbelts remain in the vehicle at all times, so perhaps that's why it's permissible in other vehicles?

However, I'm not 100% convinced that's a legitimate excuse.