Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing Configuration After Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've asked various people at Tesla that exact same question (I even indicated I expected to pay for the alteration). The answer was always "no", but I felt that was a standard answer without really giving it much thought.

One DS said that the seat configuration is encoded in the VIN, and the VIN can never change. At first that made sense, but then I felt that it shouldn't matter if the vehicle is altered and doesn't match the VIN specs.

here is the VIN decoder The # of seat belt restraints by row is part of the VIN in position 6. If the Digit in Position 6 is an A, then the second row has three seats and seats restraints; if the digit is a B, then the second row has a two seats and seat restraints.

The information Tesla gave is correct. I found this out when Audi delivered the wrong second seat config a number of years ago. I asked them to change the seats -- it couldn't be done.

VIN Decoder | TeslaTap

Last edited:
Thanks for confirming @Aljohn. Maybe other minivans/SUVs with removable seats don't encode the number of seats into the VIN?

To be clear, the VIN code is for the number of Retraining Systems (seat belts) -- assuming one for each seat. So minivans with removable seats still have the belts there which would be part of the design. Changing an X from 7 to 6 Seats would require removing the middle Belt system, therefore invalidating the VIN Code, since Tesla didn't design the middle seat to be removable (sensors, belts, anchors, etc. would have to be removed).

• Informative
Reactions: vandacca
I have 3 seat configuration
Can I remove middle seat?
I didn't know about the 2 seat setup

Everything I've heard says that it can't be removed. I did read on here somewhere that someone was going to try, but I assume with the sensors that some software would have to be altered as well. I'm curious, how did you not know about the 2 seat setup? It was in the design studio when you ordered.

This has already been discussed in other threads. It was presumed that since the number of seats (and seatbelts) is encoded in the VIN, that's not something they can change, especially since the seatbelts are integrated into the seats. In vehicles with removeable seats, the seatbelts remain in the vehicle at all times, so perhaps that's why it's permissible in other vehicles?

However, I'm not 100% convinced that's a legitimate excuse.