Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing from a NEMA 14-50 to a HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone do this? I have the outlet at my office and I am getting tired of taking the EVSE in and out of the trunk. I know the HPWC will be restricted to 40 Amp. I was wondering how easy/difficult it is to do with the line already there. It would also be in a place where it is outdoors under a car port, but would be subject to occasional blowing rain. This is not an issue, correct?

Also, has anyone left the NEMA 14-50 outlet there as well? I know you cannot use both at the same time, but I could see a day when there is a non-Tesla electric vehicle I have to share the charge infrastructure with. I guess I could put a J1772 EVSE there and just use the adapter as an alternative, but I know that would not be as convenient.

2016-03-23 14.39.33.jpg

@tnt1971 It won't be that difficult to switch over. However, the HPWC does not use a Neutral so you will have to disconnect it in your panel. We have both a 14-50 and a HPWC.

Anyone do this? I have the outlet at my office and I am getting tired of taking the EVSE in and out of the trunk. I know the HPWC will be restricted to 40 Amp. I was wondering how easy/difficult it is to do with the line already there. It would also be in a place where it is outdoors under a car port, but would be subject to occasional blowing rain. This is not an issue, correct?

Also, has anyone left the NEMA 14-50 outlet there as well? I know you cannot use both at the same time, but I could see a day when there is a non-Tesla electric vehicle I have to share the charge infrastructure with. I guess I could put a J1772 EVSE there and just use the adapter as an alternative, but I know that would not be as convenient.

I had a 14-50 plug put in at home for futures when my HPWC was installed and have been considering the same thing for when my wife's model 3 is delivered eventually. The recently released mobile connector with a fixed 14-50 plug seems made to fit the need, however, and I'll probably use one of those-unless there are new options in 18-24 months.

Tesla — Corded Mobile Connector - NEMA 14-50

If your office location is public, a HPWC hard wired may make the most sense just so the equipment is stolen.

I had a 14-50 plug put in at home for futures when my HPWC was installed and have been considering the same thing for when my wife's model 3 is delivered eventually. The recently released mobile connector with a fixed 14-50 plug seems made to fit the need, however, and I'll probably use one of those-unless there are new options in 18-24 months.

Tesla — Corded Mobile Connector - NEMA 14-50

If your office location is public, a HPWC hard wired may make the most sense just so the equipment is stolen.

I just ordered this. My work location has a lockable plug, and it looks like I have room to lock this in the outlet. If so, that solves my challenge along with the cable organizer. Thanks for the help.