TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Changing from a NEMA 14-50 to a HPWC

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by tnt1971, Jul 1, 2016.

1. tnt1971

tnt1971 Member

Anyone do this? I have the outlet at my office and I am getting tired of taking the EVSE in and out of the trunk. I know the HPWC will be restricted to 40 Amp. I was wondering how easy/difficult it is to do with the line already there. It would also be in a place where it is outdoors under a car port, but would be subject to occasional blowing rain. This is not an issue, correct?

Also, has anyone left the NEMA 14-50 outlet there as well? I know you cannot use both at the same time, but I could see a day when there is a non-Tesla electric vehicle I have to share the charge infrastructure with. I guess I could put a J1772 EVSE there and just use the adapter as an alternative, but I know that would not be as convenient.

2. ABCCBA

ABCCBA Member

2016-03-23 14.39.33.jpg
    @tnt1971 It won't be that difficult to switch over. However, the HPWC does not use a Neutral so you will have to disconnect it in your panel. We have both a 14-50 and a HPWC.

3. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

I wired my HPWC with a 14-50 plug, then plugged it into my outlet. It's a simple wiring job, didn't have to fiddle with anything in the walls, and if the HPWC dies or I need the outlet for something else, I can just unplug it.

It's questionable as to whether this is code compliant, but it's perfectly safe. Some more info here:

Plug HPWC into a NEMA 14-50 plug?

4. Nevek

Nevek Overt Member

I had a 14-50 plug put in at home for futures when my HPWC was installed and have been considering the same thing for when my wife's model 3 is delivered eventually. The recently released mobile connector with a fixed 14-50 plug seems made to fit the need, however, and I'll probably use one of those-unless there are new options in 18-24 months.

Tesla — Corded Mobile Connector - NEMA 14-50

If your office location is public, a HPWC hard wired may make the most sense just so the equipment is stolen.

5. davewill

davewill Member

It's very simple. You remove the receptacle, and make that box a junction and run conduit to the EVSE. Please DO use a J1772 EVSE. It's always good to play nice with others.

6. Cowby

Cowby Member

I wired my HPWC with a 6-50 plug. works just fine.

• Like x 2
  7. tnt1971

tnt1971 Member

I just ordered this. My work location has a lockable plug, and it looks like I have room to lock this in the outlet. If so, that solves my challenge along with the cable organizer. Thanks for the help.