Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing price a day before delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model y is being delivered tomorrow
I contacted to make sure that I have the right "payable to" info on my bank draft, and the agent gave me that along with the price.
And I notice the price is nearly $700 higher than the final price on My Account screen has always been showing at tesla.com. I brought this up and he said they made a mistake and now they are working on changing the price to the correct amount.
Can they do this a day before delivery? Shouldn't they honor the price we originally agreed upon.
I can just walk away and demand my $250 deposit back but I sold my car already.
Where can I file a complaint?

They said they’re fixing it so let them fix it.

Sometimes they forget or miscalculate local taxes and fees, especially if there were recently new ordinances or laws that affected them.

Look at the detailed breakdown of the purchase agreement. If they are changing the price of the actual car then you might have grounds for a complaint. But if the change is just due to a miscalculation on fees then sure they made an honest mistake but they’re not trying to scam you and they’re not going to eat that cost because that’s money due to the government that you have to pay.

When he said they were working on fixing it, he meant fixing it so that on My Account at tesla.com it shows the price they should've charged.
And about half an hour later I saw in My Account the price got updated accordingly, up another $670
The agent NICK (at Surrey branch in BC) told me that I got a referral credit that shouldn't have issued in the first place, so I wrote back to him that they should still honor the price that we agreed upon when I placed the order and paid my deposit, and he stopped answering.

I wrote again asking if I could get my deposit back since it was them unwilling to honor the agreement, and later another agent named JIE wrote me back saying I can cancel the order if I want but the deposit is non-refundable. She also told me a whole another story why the price was adjusted, saying that the vehicle I was getting had more kms resulting the discount but the one I was getting delivered now has "very limited km" on it hence the regular price. What?!? She also said that my car was actually not available for delivery tomorrow and that she changed the delivery to a later date.

At this point I got so mad, and wrote again with a few points: 1) Why then did NICK texted me earlier today to confirm if I could show up at the delivery appointment as scheduled? 2) Who is telling me the truth? referral program error or higher/lower mileage? 3) If that higher mileage vehicle was what initially got me the discount, why am I not getting that car anymore and getting another car with less mileage now? 4) Who is the general manager there in Surrey location and his contact?

Then I drove down to the delivery center to see what's going on, and the agent told me my car is indeed not here. They thought it would be here since the port strike was over but it didn't quite make it. I still didn't understand because I did get a text from NICK just a few hours ago asking if I can make it to the delivery appointment. But what can I do. I left puzzled.

Another hour or so later, I got a call from yet another agent who said the GM directed to call me to resolve this. He said they would give me a $700 service credit to make up for what happened, and I accepted it. So all is good now, but I'm just not pleased and amazed how the sales agents at this location handle things.

Reactions: bolero
Interesting. Tesla is no different from any other dealer - you get good staff, and not so good staff. I’ve no idea what’s going on in your case but had no issue with the two cars I’ve bought.

What referral did you try to use? That sounds like the main issue since it’s $650 off the price.

When he said they were working on fixing it, he meant fixing it so that on My Account at tesla.com it shows the price they should've charged.
And about half an hour later I saw in My Account the price got updated accordingly, up another $670
The agent NICK (at Surrey branch in BC) told me that I got a referral credit that shouldn't have issued in the first place, so I wrote back to him that they should still honor the price that we agreed upon when I placed the order and paid my deposit, and he stopped answering.

I wrote again asking if I could get my deposit back since it was them unwilling to honor the agreement, and later another agent named JIE wrote me back saying I can cancel the order if I want but the deposit is non-refundable. She also told me a whole another story why the price was adjusted, saying that the vehicle I was getting had more kms resulting the discount but the one I was getting delivered now has "very limited km" on it hence the regular price. What?!? She also said that my car was actually not available for delivery tomorrow and that she changed the delivery to a later date.

At this point I got so mad, and wrote again with a few points: 1) Why then did NICK texted me earlier today to confirm if I could show up at the delivery appointment as scheduled? 2) Who is telling me the truth? referral program error or higher/lower mileage? 3) If that higher mileage vehicle was what initially got me the discount, why am I not getting that car anymore and getting another car with less mileage now? 4) Who is the general manager there in Surrey location and his contact?

Then I drove down to the delivery center to see what's going on, and the agent told me my car is indeed not here. They thought it would be here since the port strike was over but it didn't quite make it. I still didn't understand because I did get a text from NICK just a few hours ago asking if I can make it to the delivery appointment. But what can I do. I left puzzled.

Another hour or so later, I got a call from yet another agent who said the GM directed to call me to resolve this. He said they would give me a $700 service credit to make up for what happened, and I accepted it. So all is good now, but I'm just not pleased and amazed how the sales agents at this location handle things.
Yes I also got a call yesterday saying that my vehicle wasn’t available for today. I was on the Port webcam yesterday at 5:46pm and I saw this leaving Fraser Wharves.
3C423613-80A3-4398-8517-A907C055A15B.jpeg

What referral did you try to use? That sounds like the main issue since it’s $650 off the price.
I wasn't using a referral code nor was I aware of it. What I saw in the price breakdown when I paid my deposit was a "price adjustment -$610." I wasn't sure what it was and thought it was some kind of promotion.

@jihunpark@hotm whats your delivery date now?
Apparently, my delivery date is now tomorrow (Monday), but I was told it is not "guaranteed."
Are you watching the port webcam all day? 😁

Reactions: Bob123
I wasn't using a referral code nor was I aware of it. What I saw in the price breakdown when I paid my deposit was a "price adjustment -$610." I wasn't sure what it was and thought it was some kind of promotion.

Apparently, my delivery date is now tomorrow (Monday), but I was told it is not "guaranteed."
Are you watching the port webcam all day? 😁
Yup!

Reactions: chez