Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing the Key FOB Battery??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

UncaNed

Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2015
East coast
I'd really appreciate if somebody please post the keyfob battery changing instructions here.

Changed the key fob battery the first time long ago by basically smashing it into place with pliers. Now I'm getting this useless notification suggesting I manually search the manual which has no search function for instructions on replacing the battery again.

For Chrissakes, why didn't the folks at Tesla just put the actual battery changing instructions on the notification?? If changing a button battery is so complicated, then the FOB is a bad design. $90,000 cars should not come with such an unnecessary headache.

keyfoblowbat.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: scottf200
At least a dozen threads here about this, also... many noting to be careful that you line it up carefully.

A better point is to google search for the Tesla PDF manual for your car and download that to your PC or Dropbox or somewhere. Then you can easily search for anything (even on your phone with the Dropbox app).

Note that the S and X batteries are different but you (OP) know that if you already went through this once. As a general note, I order my batteries (for the X anyway) from Batteries Plus to be sure they are fresh. Amazon, etc. always seem to be of dubious quality for the cheap price you pay.

My fob has a different, longer cover the whole length of the fob, and uses a thicker, CR 2354 battery; that's what it had in it from the factory. But the same basic procedure, which is what I did last time, worked much better this time; I just snapped the cover on without worrying that the new battery wasn't sitting level in it's little nook (and wasn't going to!), and everything seems to work nicely. I asked the local Batteries Plus store for the same original Panasonic battery their website said were in stock, but got handed off-brand "Nuon" batteries instead. Tried to fit those, then saw Ray-O-Vac hanging on the display, which fit about the same. So now I've one of each brand installed in my fobs; we'll see if there's any difference.

It was difficult because CR 2354 button batteries are so thick and fit so snugly they're hard to pry out and worm in and press into place, there's really no such thing "lining them up carefully".

Thanks, @boaterva and @bpjones! Mission accomplished.

So maybe I'm not so big of an idiot after all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hebert