Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing wheels, put the Tesla TPMS sensors in them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
Out of sheer principle, I have a real problem with Tesla essentially forcing us to spend $1500 on decent looking wheels, to get away from the ugly base Aero wheels. So we could buy aftermarket 18 inch wheels and swap the tires over to them.

I typed 18 x 8 wheels into google, and one of the first choices was a $110 replacement wheel for a Nissan Maxima that looked nice, and similar to the Tesla 19 inch wheels, but the bolt pattern was slightly off.

But once we find suitable wheels, what about swapping the Tesla tire pressure sensors into them? It wouldn't surprise me if they made their tpms's just unique enough that they would not work in any non-Tesla wheel, to force us to buy their overpriced wheels.

You will probably do better selling the wheels, tires and tpms as is, oem sets, right off the car. You would probably be able to get enough for the four to go a long way towards a fresh set from somewhere like Tire Rack with new tires and TPMS. That will save you on labor as you'll have a set you can just bolt on.